Is this computer ok?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by macattack, Jan 14, 2012.

1. My computer died, so I'm looking for a new one.
    I don't think I need anything fancy.
    Not really into gaming. Just trading, spreadsheets, internet, watch the occasional movie.

This one is on sale for $489. Not sure if it's good or not for my purposes.
    http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/PT.GCFP2.002

Or this one:
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11710258&whse=BC&Ne=5000136 4000000&eCat=BC|84|56671&N=4047237%204294898716&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=national

I'm not really up-to-date on my computer tech knowledge, so I'd appreciate any advice. I could build one, but I don't really feel like it, would rather be lazy & buy one this time.

2. I saw the name Gateway in the first link and I won't even click it. I dislike the company and its products.

Dell rocks. That's a fine system.

But if you want to expand to multi-monitors it's probably not the system you should be looking at.

What do you want to do with this computer? If you're trading, how do you trade? Online through a browser to enter and exit a few trades per month, or with a broker's application and data feeds? If you're using a broker's application, see if they have minimum hardware specs.

I prefer to shop through Dell Small Business. Just enter your name as company name.

3. Agree with mgookin about Gateway.

Dell has a MUCH better computer on the Outlet website for $569... a Precision T3500 w/Xeon W3530 CPU and a triple-output video card.

4. I bought a XPS 8300 from microcenter. It's fast as blazes. Cost around $1k with tax.

i7 2600 8 gig ram 2tb hd Radeon 6770 win 7 64 bit pro.

5. I don't think I need an I7 as I didn't really have a problem with my old computer with the following specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 GHz Link
    MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Link
    VIDEO CARD: PNY Nvidia GeForce 7600GT Link
    MEMORY: OCZ PC2 6400 Gold Edition XTC - 2GB's, 5-5-5-12 Link
    HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 400GB 7200RPM, SATA/300 Link
    POWER: Ultra Xfinity 500-Watt ATX Link

The old computer worked just fine as far as I could tell.

I use NinjaTrader with about 5 charts up at a time & I daytrade, but don't scalp. Other than that I'll just be doing boring computer stuff like everyone else. Don't care about gaming.

I can't find that Dell computer on the outlet site. Can't find the one Scataphogos mentioned either.

6. Probably won't find it in outlet anytime soon

7. What about one of these Inspiron desktops from Dell?
    This one is $449 new on the outlet. You've kind of scared me away from Gateway.

Processor Processor: Intel Core i3-2120 Processor (3.3GHz,3MB Cache)
    Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    Base Inspiron Desktop 620
    Hard Disk Drive 1 TB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    Memory 6 GB DDR3 Memory (1X2G/1X4G), 1333MHz
    Media Bay 16X DVD +/- RW Drive
    Chassis Type Desktop
    Network Interface Card Dell Wireless 1502 802.11b/g/n
    Hardware Upgrade 120V Power Cord
    Thermal Heatsink, 65W

8. Inspiron is a budget line... with an el-cheapo mobo. It's OK for general computing. Probably OK for trading for 1-2 monitors, but if you ever want to run 3 or more monitors better to avoid Inspiron altogether.

Regardless of the price difference, the Precision T3500 is a MUCH better computer... a "business" machine with server-class components (supposedly) and an X58 mobo.

#10     Jan 15, 2012