Is this Citygroup thing going to affect IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by machine, Jul 25, 2002.

1. If they rescued a couple of traders in Greenwich CT (long term capital) there is no way in hell a major money center bank like C is going to fail between Uncle Sam, SIPC, Fed, a couple of Middle eastern oil Sheiks, other money center banks.

#11     Jul 25, 2002
  2. I think there are bigger things to worry about ...

#12     Jul 25, 2002
  3. chisox

chisox Guest

r u kiddin...they moved to all fee based businesses in 97.....
    their test came in 90....dont believe the hype, they have no derivatives exposure (thanks sandy),,, they will get slapped for
    ene and wcom, but should weather the storm.....

#13     Jul 25, 2002
  4. Pabst

Pabst

The TED spread ( the yield differential between 3mo. T-Bills and 3mo. LIBOR) closed today at 20 basis points. In 1991 at the height of anxiety over Citi etal the spread would commonly trade at 150. That means that the credit markets are giving almost zero credance that any major failures are on the horizon. Which of course is not to say that the market can't be mis-priced.

#14     Jul 25, 2002
  5. skynet

skynet

i think not! It will never happen. NO goverment would let that happen....its like citi being the air we breathe

#15     Jul 25, 2002
  6. stockman

stockman Guest

That is perhaps the dumbest thing I have heard all day. Citigroup (its spelled with an "i") only happens to be the largest bank in the WORLD. Your statement seems to suggest that trading might not be the right activity for you.

#16     Jul 25, 2002

7. I'd like to see a list of suggested occupations in lieu of trader:

I vote for Stock Analyst, we need more of them that actually worry about what might go wrong.

#17     Jul 26, 2002
  8. machine

machine

It might be a dumb question, my friend but don't you tell me if trading is right or wrong for me. Yes, English is not my first language, yes - I've been living in North America for only 4 years (3 of them trading). Maybe I don't know much about how the American economy works and all that shit but does this really matter for trading? Yes, I keep my trading simple and stupid - I don't use all that fancy stuff like BB, stoch. or fundamentals etc. - all I need is a trend tool and volume and yes (surprise!) I make money and live in a penthouse.
    And sorry about that misspelling. I'll be more careful next time.

#18     Jul 26, 2002
  9. Aha! A French Canadian who migrated to the states. Thats okay.
    I suppose you trade with IB and might be a little bit paranoid that
    IB's account holders are going under with Citibank. Don't worry...

Where do you live in a penthouse? New York? Chicago? Los Angeles?

:cool:

#19     Jul 26, 2002
  10. skerbitz

skerbitz

'That is perhaps the dumbest thing I have heard all day. Citigroup (its spelled with an "i") only happens to be the largest bank in the WORLD. Your statement seems to suggest that trading might not be the right activity for you. '

Now *** THAT *** is perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard ... Anyone who thinks great big businesses from America don't fail is dumber than a rock.

That's why the total corporate bankruptcy filings are the highest in history and the year is only half over.

Nothing special about C ... it's a business like any other and they can get in hot water like any other. C also happens to be the BIGGEST household finance company in the USA. If the unemployment rate rockets up and the predicted housing bubble pops (which it will) then C is definitely a candidate for the shit pile. However, I think before that happens we'll have lots more warnings and there will be lots of support from the Feds.

I also am a bit concerned about C, as it is not only IB's bank, but my personal bank. Never hurts to be aware, cognizant, and willing to keep an open mind about possible future dangers.

That is a characteristic of all GREAT traders ...

#20     Jul 26, 2002