Is this a viable plan to go Prop?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by cubsguy81, Aug 18, 2008.

1. I've been studying the markets for about 2 years, mostly futures. I have decided that going prop is the best way to speed up my learning curve. I'm a visual learner so working with a good group of guys is how I'll be most successful vs just studying and experiementing on my own forever. I'd like to go back on my own at some point though. I'm 27 now, no debt, no family and no obligations other than eating and a roof over my head.

My current job is a project management role with a market research company. It's high stress, detail oriented and an environment that requires you to be proactive.

To make the jump to trading I figure I need more than what I have done. I have ordered study materials for the Series 3 since it doesn't require sponsorship. Once I get that under my belt I am going to study for the Series 7 and then start applying to prop firms ready to take the exam, since I know you have to pass it.

The opinion I am looking for is am I on a track that will help me reach my goal?

2. ggoyal

ggoyal

why do you want to trade futures at a prop firm?

I say screw the licenses and put some cash with a broker and trade yourself. Your series 6,7,8,9 wtv wont teach you how to trade. you can get plenty of futures leverage without going prop.

If you want equity leverage without the licenses, send me a pm, I can help you out with that.

3. Sounds like he has made up his mind in wanting to go prop for specific reasons. I guess it is better than applying with nothing?