Is this a racist comment?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChkitOut, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

The palestinian olympic committee chair should be barred from competing in the Olympics, to be fair.

#31     Jul 26, 2012
  2. That didn't last long...pantywaist :cool:

#32     Jul 26, 2012
  3. - 1

You just can't bring yourself to see the obvious. her country banned her but she is just an athlete.. this guy is on the Olympic committee, where is the outrage?

#33     Jul 26, 2012
  4. pspr

pspr

Once again the PC police have over reacted.

#34     Jul 26, 2012
  5. You have got to be fricken kidding me GREECE is worried about it's international reputation.

:D :D :D :D
    That's like bernie madoff being embarrassed about having an overdue library book ruining his reputation for fiscal prudence.

#35     Jul 26, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

I think Olympic athletes have long been considered ambassadors (if unappointed) of their countries. I suppose it has to be this way, if the country wants to take some credit for a medal winning performance.

#36     Jul 26, 2012
  7. So what about the committee members, they don't matter at all? They can say whatever they want and it doesn't reflect poorly on their country?

Also if athletes represent their countries in ways other than sportsmanship at the Olympics, then is the participation of a nation that condones racism ok with you? Using Palestine as an example, they outright chant death to Israel and praise the murder of innocent athletes of a people they are racist against. If you are ok with this then how can you agree that this chick should have been banned?

You know I don't care about any of this and don't think anyone should be banned because they are just games. Although murdering athletes is certainly unacceptable to me, it happened awhile back and it's time to move on.

#37     Jul 26, 2012
  8. Ricter

Ricter

I think you make some good points, and I admit I don't know how to explain the disparity in perception. Maybe it has to do with expectations, similar to how we react when a pedophile priest is discovered--we're more offended by betrayal committed by an iconic person. A Palestinian paper pusher on the Olympic committee just doesn't command the admiration that an athlete does.

I think this is tragic because who we're talking about here is really just a kid, who has no doubt worked very hard and had stars in her eyes. This is a black mark for life. I do hope her take away is not a hatred of the public, or of Africans, but if anything, of hate groups. She really did get in with the wrong crowd. They're a tough set, the Olympic athletes, perhaps she'll come back in four years and kick some redeeming butt.

#38     Jul 26, 2012
  9. My point, angry old white man, was that the nation and not the Olympic committee made the decision.

#39     Jul 26, 2012
  10. They banned, and it was the countries decision. It is their sovereign to send her or make her stay.

Of course, Neocon that you are, I know you know nothing about the sovereignty of other nations.

#40     Jul 26, 2012