Is this a decent computer for trading or can you recommend something better?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by niccia, Nov 1, 2009.

1. niccia

niccia

Thanks a lot, I like the look of that Dell. I think I will go for the I7 if it is that much faster.
    I am going to give sterling a call tomorrow and see what they say about windows 7. If they don't recommend it, I will just keep looking till I find a tech who will downgrade for me.

#11     Nov 1, 2009
  2. DonKee

DonKee

Just remember to clarify whether your vendors are 64 bit compatible. You don't want 64 bit OS and then find out out your vendors aren't compatable. Windows 7 comes in 32 or 64 bit.

eg: While 64 bit is going to be preferred, Ninja Trader 6.5 and Zen-Fire are not compatable at this time.

#12     Nov 2, 2009
  3. niccia

niccia

Thanks DonKee...by vendors you mean sterling correct? Good to know...I had no idea there were different versions of windows 7 apart from the home and pro.

#13     Nov 2, 2009
  4. DonKee

DonKee

Vendors = anyone who you receive data, charts, trading platform from.

#14     Nov 2, 2009
  5. That's not true you should read my post. NT works fine with 7/64

#15     Nov 2, 2009
  6. You should check out the Dell Outlet, along with any Dell coupons that are out there. I just picked up an XPS 435MT, i7 processor, 12gb ram, 1TB HD, 512mb graphics for $875 after using a 15% coupon. The same system specs new (the updated 9000 series) will run you approx $1500. The 12gb is overkill, but you should be able to get the same system with 6gb for $5-600. The only downside was that it came with Vista64, but they do send out a free Windows 7 upgrade disc.

#16     Nov 2, 2009
  7. That STUDIO looks nice i think i'll pick one up.

I have another DELL that has been running for SEVEN yrs w/o so much as a hiccup. It's also very quiet.

#17     Nov 2, 2009
  8. Whoa... haven't you heard, "Dell is CRAP"?

#18     Nov 2, 2009
  9. LOL it won't die :)

#19     Nov 2, 2009
  10. DonKee

DonKee

Sorry, I was under the impression that only NT7 was 64 bit compatable. It might be that NT6.5 will run on a 64 bit OS, but I don't think you will experience the benefits. NT7 has been designed to take advantage of 64 bits, but it hasn't been released outside of beta.

I use NT with Zen-Fire and was told that Zen Fire was not 64 bit compatable.

Best to talk with your vendors to make sure you are getting an OS that is compatable.

#20     Nov 2, 2009