Is there anybody here from France ?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by letom13eur, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Can I ask a question to all the French people on this board? I hope this falls under the topic of wanting to know information about France.

I would really like to know what the French people think about America. I know the image the media wants to show us. But I want to hear French people themselves in their own words tell us what they really think.

#11     Feb 29, 2004
  2. Neil

Neil

Being english/irish I cannot speak for the french people.. but then neither can any one person speak for their own race either.. but in my experience the french people are fine with americans.. the establisment has an issue with the anglobalization of their language and culture.. but thats a thing they have..

I sure do not see the type of racist vitriol as expressed by people like mark haines on cnbc.. who constantly slags off the french and europeans in general.. if he spoke of blacks or jews in such a manner he would surely be fired.. but frogs or krauts.. thats different.. or cavuto on fox.. who is insane with raqe at the french for daring to disagree over some war or other.. lol he is so crazed with hate he frequently declares that they should be grateful for being liberated 60 years ago.. and presumably therefore agree with every action of the usa today... as he is a renowned history expert I wonder why his grasp of loyalty does not extend back to those days in which france helped america free itself from britain... any americans recall where their beloved statue of liberty came from?

anyway.. I really think americans should slow down hating people who are not their enemies.. they surely have enough enemies already to loathe.. hating your friends can be amusing for a while but cannot be productive in the long run

Neil

#12     Feb 29, 2004
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Neil,

I agree with a lot of what you said however I disagree with you on the attacks of Neal Cavuto. He is a very well respected journalist and he is entitled to his opinion. Just because he makes some commentary about France's lack of cooperation with the War in Iraq does not mean he is full of hate.

I may not like English soccer teams, but that doesn't mean I hate them. I may not like driving trucks, that doesn't mean I hate them. You need to make a distinction between someone who simply sees things differently then you do and the word hate. I know in this country we throw the word hate around all the time. But hate is a very powerful word. I can assure you that Cavuto is not full of hate just as I am sure that the French people don't HATE America even if they disagree with our policies.

The reason I think a lot of Americans are suspicious of France, is not because they did not support us with the war in Iraq, but because it appeared that the REASON they didn't support us was because of the big oil contracts they had with Saddam. France stood to lose a lot of money. I think that is what pissed of the American people. I'm also sure that the growing arab population in France may also have had something to do with it. France has the fastest growing Arab population in Europe right now and France is also considered the most ant-semitic country in Europe. These things unfortunately do not help Americans sympathize with France.

#13     Feb 29, 2004
  4. << France has the fastest growing Arab population in Europe right now and France is also considered the most ant-semitic country in Europe. These things unfortunately do not help Americans sympathize with France.>>

Most anti semitic, I do not think so, it is the emphasis the media puts on it.
    Fastest growing arab pop. well maybe also not, how about spain?
    I do not trust much of what the media says, but then again, did you hear that from good sources it is said that OBL has been captured, but he is now on ice until right before election time at which time he will be oficially captured?

No French people do not have any problems with American not Americsa. Most think america is a great place to visit, and contrary to popular belief not every Europeen want to live in the US.
    The problem the French have is with the US politics and what is perceived as the arogance of the present regime.
    Hope that answers your question.

#14     Feb 29, 2004
  5. Neil

Neil

okay that is a fair point about cavuto.. my words were too strong, I apologise to him.. he def expresses dislike or frustration but that is not hate I concede..

and the whole oil/vested interests aspect is just too huge to bother with.. not convinced any major western govt can hold their head high with pride over their actions... but in respect of your point about the high muslim population and how it might influence the french position.. that is hardly borne out by their action over the headscarf issue.. that is a human rights argument that is fiercely and probably soon to be violenty opposed by islamic fundamentalists.. no vote winner there amongst many muslims.. but in my opinion a genuinely proper approach and quite brave...

#15     Feb 29, 2004
  6. I agree with all of your comments. Having lived in France for a very long time and visiting twice a year at least, I can only say that anti semitism is at best "average".

A year ago, I was actually flying to France from Newark but missed my flight so had to go to JFK. I took a cab from Newark, and negociated a price to get to JFK. Too high, so I left. Two minutes later, the cab driver who was from Egypt (Muslim) had found an orthodox jew to split the cab fair with me.

It was the most hilarious drive i'd had in a while. These two kept arguing, one was asking for more money, while the other one was renegociating to get a cheaper fair. I'm in the middle (Catholic) trying to calm them down. Somehow, it reminds me of the whole Middle East crisis and I'm starting to look like the USA trying to find a solution to the argument. Well, I didn't.
    To make a long story short, the cab driver drops the rabbi half way home, and I end up paying the bill alone. Nice!

Anti-semitism is everywhere, just look for it. Violent crimes in France are very rare, they happen of course and when they do we talk about them due to the fact that they are not a daily occurence.

#16     Feb 29, 2004
  7. smknbul

smknbul

To the person who bagan the thread. Have you been trading for a number of years or have you just begun?
    Would it be difficult for a foreigner to park himself in France and begin trading?
    Can you describe any pros and cons about accounts, rules for foreigners wanting to live there for awhile?
    I'd appreciate your input. Thank You.:)

#17     Feb 29, 2004
  8. eggs

eggs

Salut letom13eur,

Je suis de Bruxelles. Ca fait plaisir de voir qu'il n'y a pas que des ricains sur ET. J'ai cru comprendre que ton premier message avait été 'censuré'. Ces gens se prennent pour les grands défenseurs de la démocratie mondiale ! Mais quand on y regarde de plus près, leur pays ressemble plus à une dictature ! Vive l'europe libre.

Moi aussi, je trade le dax future. Pas évident mais ça commence à aller. Tu peux me contacter en privé si tu le souhaites. Peut-être pourrions-nous échanger des infos sur nos styles de trading ...

A +

Eggs

#18     Mar 1, 2004
  9. msfe

msfe

Visiting France - Visas for US Citizens

http://www.info-france-usa.org/visitingfrance/usvisas.asp

SCHENGEN:
    Refers to an agreement signed by the countries listed below in which the key clause states that "the internal borders may be crossed at any point without checks on persons." Citizens who do not live in a Schengen State but want to spend their vacations there need one single visa issued by one of the Schengen countries and which is then valid for entry and short-term stay in all the countries which have signed the agreement.

SCHENGEN STATES:
    Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden.

#19     Mar 1, 2004
  10. US citizens do not need a visa tovisit France for up to 90 days. Same goes for Europeen citizens visiting the US.
    Your post leads to think otherwise.....

#20     Mar 1, 2004