Is there any university that offers graduate degree that includes stock trading?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by curiousv, Dec 15, 2018.

1. curiousv

curiousv

I could not find any university that offers masters degree that includes trading for stocks trading?
    I am about to finish my bachelor's degree and would like to join a masters that includes day trading and investment etc.

2. I think Trump university may have two courses in its business masters program. One covers fibbonacci retracements and the other is entirely devoted to buying bottoms and selling tops. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

3. Sig

Sig

Math or computer science if you want to work in the quant field, MBA or one of the various finance degrees if you want to do more general work. Since universities generally teach evidence based material on the science/engineering/business side of campus and focus on learning the theory behind how the world works rather than teaching a trade, you aren't going to find any courses teaching chartist "theory" or the difference between a market order and a limit order, or frankly 90% of the stuff here. But if you see a conversation here on volatility surfaces or the limitations of BS or various greeks and would like to understand what the heck those people are talking about, you could get all that in a good MBA program. That said, at least in my program no-one actually ends up going into trading except maybe for a couple months in a rotation program. There are far more profitable places to work with much less variance in income due to randomness you can't control with that educational background.

Hooter and murray t turtle like this.
  4. far more profitable places, like? MBA Finance -> Sales & Trading...hard to beat salary wise if you ask me.....unless of course, one does not have the DNA of a good risk manager. Then S&T will be a living hell.

5. Sig

Sig

Probably depends on what definition of trading you're using. If you're talking about the guys on trading desks, that's pretty far down the totem pole compared to the people putting together structured products for clients that they then send down to the trading desks to execute, for example. And of course anything buy-side that includes carry is going to almost always going to be a better salary and upside than trading.

If you're talking sales....if you can sell you can make big bucks pretty much anywhere, and absolutely you'd be wasting your talents doing pretty much anything else. Of course if you can really sell you'd also be wasting your time and talents getting a masters degree of any kind unless it was just for intellectual curiosity, which of course is a more than valid reason to do so.

drm7, fan27, GRULSTMRNN and 1 other person like this.
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Investment banking.

Private equity.

Management consulting.

drm7 likes this.
  7. Hooter

Hooter

Golden Gate University

8. I think the legendary stock trader and investor William J O’Neil once said that “The only educational requirement that you need to be a successful stock trader is 6th grade math” :sneaky:

LS1Z28, Sprout, Pekelo and 1 other person like this.
  9. zdreg

zdreg

Google stock trading lab university masters to create a list.

10. ET180

ET180

If there was one method of trading that was successful enough to be taught in an academic setting...how would it still work? Everyone would be doing it.

#10     Dec 15, 2018
    curiousv and wartrace like this.