Is there a web site to view daily Greece CDS and their bond yield?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Happy Hopping, Jul 19, 2011.

1. I am 100% in agreement with you... As I said, makes me skeptical. Maybe too skeptical.

#41     Aug 9, 2011
  2. wavel

wavel

http://www.pigbonds.info/

If your not trading realtime that is a useful little site to maintain an overview of the bond market.

#42     Aug 9, 2011
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Yeah, I'm not trying to argue with you. Perhaps what I'm actually doing is trying to come to terms with why the EUR/USD rate is still over 1.40 (1.4250 at last check). That, I just cannot get.

#43     Aug 9, 2011
  4. #44     Aug 9, 2011
  5. The two legs are equally bad?

#45     Aug 9, 2011
  6. I believe I can explain... I think it's all about pricing what the new EUR might be. If it so happens that the bad guys (Italy, Spain, etc) exit the EMU and only France, Germany, etc remain. Then the new EUR should be trading at a massive premium to the old EUR. So it's just a matter of calculating the expected value of EUR with all these scenarios and probabilities.

#46     Aug 9, 2011
  7. I can't explain why Euro is at 1.4 neither, best guess is that the PIIGS that will be walking out is not going to.

But I don't agree w/ the above neither. Germany will walk out if the debt gets too heavy in Italy or Spain. They won't stay in Euro. Germany most likely will walk out 1 way or the other in 2013 when Greece ask for more $$ (or even before that)

#47     Aug 10, 2011
  8. You just pt. out the design fault of EU. President Bill Clinton said this is the ultimate test of EU, during good econ. times, EU holds up well in the past 10+ yr. But w/ this crisis, they can't do what the US Fed. reserve does, i.e., for e.g. buy up several trillion of treasuries. Like you said, $1 T, okay, more than that, no good.

6 political parties in Germany doesn't help neither. But knowing no1 can suck up those Italian debt or SPanish debt, then after Greece lost its incoming sugar daddy $$$$ in 2013, the EU is going to crack?

#48     Aug 10, 2011
  9. Martinghoul, if China, say even along w/ Germany and France is backing the Euro, eventhough possibly neither 3 countries want to, would that avoid a recession in the EU region?

For that matter, how much $$ does it take to stabilize the debt level of Spain, Italy and possibly Greece? Does the combined 3 countries have that kind of $$ to do it?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,780189,00.html#ref=nlint

SPIEGEL: As an investor, would you still bet on the euro?

Soros: I certainly would not short the euro because China has an interest in having an alternative to the dollar. You can count on China to back the efforts of the European authorities to maintain the euro.

SPIEGEL: Is that the reason why the euro is still so strong compared to the dollar?

Soros: Yes. There is a mysterious buyer that keeps propping up the euro.

SPIEGEL: And it is not you.

Soros: It is not me (laughs).

SPIEGEL: In the end, will China be the only winner in this crisis?

Soros: China, of course, has been the great winner of globalization, and if globalization collapses, the Chinese will also be among the losers. So they have a strong interest in preserving the current global system. However, in some ways, they have been just as reluctant to accept it as the Germans. Germans have been hesitant to accept responsibility for Europe, and the Chinese have been hesitant to accept responsibility for the world. But they are both being pushed into it.

#49     Aug 15, 2011
  10. Good questions, all, HH... I only hope I had definitive answers, but, alas, I don't.

#50     Aug 16, 2011