Is there a way to set a stop loss when writing naked options

Discussion in 'Options' started by lasner, Jan 21, 2010.

1. lasner

lasner

Yeah but it works both ways...Personally I think the closer I am the more risk I have. I know that the options really begin to lose value under a month but that is just too risky for me. If something even mildly crazy happens I'll get slammed.

I like writing the naked option way out of the money but I do want some protection in case of a wild event.

Maybe put an order in to purchase an option outside of the money like for example in gold I sold a 1500 call in June for $240. Maybe follow up with putting in an order to make a purchase on an option at something like 1200. Say if the bid/offer is 500 by 700 put an order in for something like 900. I'd have to figure it out.

I've been trading for a while but option writing is new to me

#41     Jan 28, 2010
  2. these are not necessarily related. You want less volatility, then you reduce your position size.

There is really no inherent longterm advantage in options writing. And when you write a longer term option, you lose even the advantage of time decay.

#42     Jan 28, 2010
  3. lasner seriously step away and educate yourself. you do not want to be selling 3 months out i guarantee you.

#43     Jan 28, 2010
  4. what kind of margin are you having to put up for this?...better to trade naked NDX options?

#44     Jan 29, 2010
  5. lasner

lasner

Why Nasdaq options?

#45     Jan 29, 2010
  6. Writing naked options is one of the most dangerous trading ideas:
    Very limited profit, with unlimited risk.

Anyhow, you may:
    Buy a single share of the underlying stock (or ETF, commodity, etc).
    Place a stop loss on the share.
    Place a one-triggers-other sell to buy the option you sold.

This way the stop loss is based on the underlying and NOT on the price of the option (which may vary greatly during periods of low liquidity, such as after-hours).

#46     Jan 29, 2010
  7. lasner

lasner

Not sure I follow you...buy a share or an option. I'm writing naked option in gold (futures). So for example I sold a 1500 call in June for $250.

Do you want me to buy a futures or an option. I'm not following you at all

#47     Jan 29, 2010
  8. lasner

lasner

You guys were absolutely right......Fuck That! I'm never writing naked again

#48     Feb 5, 2010
  9. yea. better to write covered calls. much safer. lol

#49     Feb 5, 2010
  10. YOU CAN USE STOPS IN ALMOST ANY MARKET.. WHO THE HELL IS YOUR BROKER .. AND IF U NEEDED TO ASK THIS QUESTION THEN YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS..COLLECTING PREMIUM YOU TWIT!

#50     Feb 5, 2010