Is there a way to get the stock order information before the market open?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sloth, Mar 31, 2009.

1. sloth

sloth

When the market is open, you can see the limit order information through either Nasdaq L2 or NYSE openbook. What about the same information before the market open?

I know Nasdaq/NYSE send imbalance data after they match up the market and the limit orders, but is there a way to see the books even before that?

2. Bob111

Bob111

3. sloth

sloth

Thanks Bob for the info. However as I understand, Nasdaq sends this info after they match up the orders and set the opening price. What I want to find out is the order information BEFORE Nasdaq sets the opening price, in another word, before 9:28AM, so I can submit an order that is eligible for opening cross.

4. Bob111

Bob111

5. sloth

sloth

Thanks again. I assume you are referring to using "IMBALANCE-ONLY OPEN ORDERS". I agree that you may take some of the advantage by using such orders, however what if I want to use some more complicated algorithm, for example, considering the previous close information, and/or other market information before deciding whether I'd like to participate the opening cross? I believe "openbook" information before Nasdaq/NYSE sets the opening price is very useful but I guess such product is not available.