Is there a way to Find what video card is installed in my comp?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hello, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Sorry to say this. But why play the guessing game?

What is the reason that the computer chassis would need to be "broken" to open?

#11     Oct 7, 2010
  2. Boib

Boib

I was looking for the same answer and found it this way

Go to “my computer” in the start menu and right click.
    Click on properties
    Click on hardware
    Click on devise manager
    Click on monitors
    Left click on default monitor and click properties.
    I think the location is the video card. Mine comes up with “NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE”

This is with XP. Vista or Win7 probably a bit different.

#12     Oct 8, 2010
  3. I am not sure if this will work. But you can try it.

Run "Regedit"

(Start... Command... "Regedit")

Do a search (control-F, or under Edit menu, Find).

Enter the string:

HardwareInformation.AdapterString

and see if it finds something that gives a clue. Like this:

[​IMG]

#13     Oct 8, 2010
  4. I think this will work if you already have the video driver installed. From what I understand... the case is that the OP is trying to find out the video card model so that he can install the proper drive.

#14     Oct 8, 2010
  5. Boib

Boib

Once in Device Manager you can click on Display adapters and it should show your Vid card.

#15     Oct 8, 2010
  6. Boib

Boib

I'm not the OP but;

The reason I was looking is I want to add a card to run 2 monitors and am confused as to which card to get. Prices run from under $50 to a few hundred. Some come with several outputs ,some with only VGA output. So I’m still confused.

The computer I’m trying to upgrade has a GeForce 6150 LE card (I think)
    I seems to be part of the mobo.???
    Will any Geforce card work?
    If I get one with several outputs do I use the output on the card and the original output or do I somehow disable the original and use both outputs on the card?

The reason i ask is that I bought a Dell a few years back that I ordered with an additional card. When it came, the original output had been disabled and I had to buy an adapter to hook up the 2nd monitor.

#16     Oct 8, 2010
  7. As far as virus still being there after restore, yes, that can happen. Try shutting down, resetting the master boot record, then doing a restore.

You will need your Windows recovery disk or system disk in order to do the MBR reset. Do a google search for "Reset Master Boot Record" and the OS you are using

#17     Oct 8, 2010
  8. pspr

pspr

OP, you never mentioned why you thought it was a virus. A freezing computer can be many things related to hardware including power supply, motherboard, video card, hard drive.

The video card should run with the standard windows drivers until you discover the lockup problem.

You'll probably need to open the case and try each of these to see if the lockup goes away:

1) reseat video card

2) try a different hard drive that is known to be virus free

3) try a different video card

4) try replacing power supply

5) if you still have the lockup problem it is probably a motherboard issue and a computer shop with more resources is required unless you are a well versed in computer assymbly.

#18     Oct 8, 2010
  9. What is the Dell computer model number that you are using? You should be able to look up the technical specs to see if there is a video output on the motherboard.

If you have an onboard video output, then when you add additional PCI or PCIe X16 video card, the onboard video might be disabled automatically. (That's my experience with the HP box.) I thought I could add a dual video card and use to onboard VGA output to drive 3 monitors. But didn't work. Once I plugged in the PCI video card (dual VGA), the onboard VGA output got automatically disabled.

#19     Oct 8, 2010
  10. You might power off the computer, wait 10 seconds then power on. LOOK AT THE SCREEN. Sometimes the video card description appears in text on the screen for a few seconds before the operating system starts.

Is the inside of your computer dusty? Sometimes they get clogged with dust and overheat. I vacuum the dust out.

The problem might not be a virus. Is the system behaving itself in safe mode?

#20     Oct 8, 2010