is there a Volatility Doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Options' started by increasenow, Jan 16, 2010.

1. spindr0

spindr0

This is one of those "Everyone has an opinion" topics - often different.

IMO, IV matters if you're trading volatility, eg. forward and reverse calendars, calendar straddles and strangles, gamma scalping, etc.

IV matters if it's going to change while you're long or short the option .... ya know that famous question here where the noob asks why the stock moved up today but his long call lost money?
    (IV collapse)

IV doesn't matter as long as it doesn't move against you :D

#11     Jan 17, 2010
  2. There is no comparison.

Future volatility will (after the fact) determine what the option was worth.

IV is the the current estimate of future volatility.

When trading, you can bet on whether the current estimate is high or low.

But historical volatility is seldom important. Companies change, businesses grow, competition changes. HV has some value, but pales in comparison to IV.

In Oct/Nov 2008, did anyone care about historical stock volatility? The market was moving 5% every other day. HV was 100% meaningless.

If you must choose one of these as more important, please choose IV

Mark

#12     Jan 17, 2010
  3. Mark's comments are correct. I use IV to determine future trends by looking at ATM call's IV going out a few months. The key word is trend. I also take a look at VIX for absolute value as well as trend. Again, the key word is trend. Next to direction, volatility (IV, vega) is most important. And they are many option strategies that make money despite direction.

#13     Jan 18, 2010
  4. Hi Mark, happy new year,

Sorry, IV has nothing to do with future volatility ! How the market would know it ?
    IV is just what makes your pricing model match current quotes. Demand and supply for option make the price. And the price has nothing to do with IV. A pricing model does. That why it's called IMPLIED volatility.
    Different models make different IV at the same time for the same option.
    What about the skew ? At the same time you have different IV for the same maturity. Which one is the right for future volatility ?

Masteratwork

#14     Jan 18, 2010
  5. gkishot

gkishot

But how are the options quoted then without complete pricing model ( missing IV) ?

#15     Jan 18, 2010
  6. charts

charts

... feel free to google it. Don't rely on anonymous advice! There's no need for guessing ... :) Don't start trading until you get a good knowledge foundation!

#16     Jan 18, 2010
  7. I didn't write something about quoting options without pricing model.
    What I've written is that market doesn't know future. So, it doesn't know future volatility.
    Again, if I pay $1 to buy a put and a pricing model shows that fair value is $ 0.15, it doesn't mean that I expect higher future volatility. Just that $1 stays a good price to me. I may have already sold this put for $5 and just want to buy it back !

Masteratwork

#17     Jan 18, 2010
  8. gkishot

gkishot

How are the options priced if IV is unknown?

#18     Jan 18, 2010
  9. Well, you don't price an option with IV, you quote an option with IV. In some models like BS, you price an option with HV.
    IV is always unknown. The only thing you could know is 'Black & Scholes pricing model implied volatility'. IV is model dependent. A SABR model would have a different IV for the same option, Black 76 model too.....Who's right ?

#19     Jan 18, 2010
  10. spindr0

spindr0

Option price is the equilibrium b/t supply and demand. If the ask is $2 and buyers come in, it rises (and vice versa for sellers).

If you iterate the option pricing components (other than vol) into a model, the result will be the implied volatility. People try to estimate future volatility but it's just that, an estimate. Future volatility is unknown. Implied volatility is a reflection of current prices.

#20     Jan 18, 2010