Is there a tool for drawing a 45 degree angle on a chart

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by shots fired, Feb 28, 2013.

1. EricP

EricP

Let me echo what bootize said and caution you against pursuing any trading based on angles. As he mentioned, angles are an inherently flawed method of technical analysis, since two traders, looking at the exact same data, can have vastly different angles for the same chart.

The reason is that the angle depends on more than just the price action. It is also dramatically affected by the scaling of the chart used (both the x-axis and the y-axis). This scaling will vary based upon the brand of the charting package used (will also be different if manually charted), the amount of data viewed, and a number of other factors.

In short, the magnitude of a trend angle can be whatever you want it to be. Let's say your angle is 20 degrees. Heck, compress the data on the x-axis in half (i.e. display twice the data in the same chart) and the exact trend you were looking at is now at a 40 degree angle. Compress a little more, and viola, it's now 45 degrees. Same can be done on either axis. The point is, the magnitude of trend angles are not unique to any dataset. They are dependent on the scaling you chose for your chart, and therefore is pretty worthless for trading (before any flames head my way, let me say that this is IMO, and that I'm referring to specific ANGLE values and not the use of trendlines in general)

#11     Mar 1, 2013
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yep, given the X and Y axis are completely non related parameters(time and price) is it technically even possible to create a consistent TRUE angle on a normal price chart?

#12     Mar 1, 2013
  3. #13     Mar 1, 2013
  4. awesome, thank you for your input, it was very helpful.

#14     Mar 2, 2013
  5. turn you monitor 45 degrees and draw a horizontal line.

#15     Mar 2, 2013

6. Please consider the following:

Time is not a variable in trading.

#16     Mar 2, 2013
  7. Mysteron

Mysteron

How about a stanley knife:

[​IMG]

Stupid questions deserve similar answers, so wake up and learn to see reality.

#17     Mar 2, 2013
  8. anything can be a variable...

a = 1 min
    b = 2 min
    c = 3 min

volatility looks different at different time frames.. sma's look different in different time frames.. its a matter of perspective..

#18     Mar 2, 2013
  9. Visaria

Visaria

#19     Mar 2, 2013
  10. #20     Mar 3, 2013