Is there a software program available that allows you to create realtime indicators

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by magnum29464, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Ah, ok, understand now.

I wouldn't know where to look either, because most TA do-it-yourself platforms concentrate on one quote-feed at a time.

If I had to prototype something like that I would resort to Excell and a DDE link to your data provider. If you get that to work and it proves usefull you can always migrate it to a real programming platform like Java or C#.

Good luck & have fun,
    Ursa..

#11     Apr 25, 2007
  2. Im using IQfeed from DTN...

#12     Apr 25, 2007
  3. #13     Apr 25, 2007
  4. Make no mistake: learning to program properly takes a bit of time. Add to that the domain specific challenges you will have to deal with and it starts to become quite a steep learning curve.

If you want to be a programmer in the long-term then pursuing this course of action is fine.

Otherwise, you'll need to consider how much time it will take to achieve your goal. If your time is worth $100/hour, how much is it going to cost you to build this solution?

Off-the-shelf software products like Neoticker can build custom TICK indicators etc. with relative ease and taking the cost of your time/labor into account will work out much cheaper.

I don't want to put you off pursuing the programming route but just to highlight it's not as rosy as it might seem and is certainly not "free".

I don't understand the origin of the itmediaco's attitude proclaiming that "no one cares". I'm sure he is well-intentioned though.

In this instance, an ESP engine is well suited to building a indicators such as your need but also, once again, it can be achived by other means too that don't require third-party components, free or otherwise.

#14     Apr 25, 2007
  5. Thanks,

Yea I'm not really interested in becoming a programmer I just want to build indicators.

I will try the neoticker you recommended.

#15     Apr 25, 2007
  6. jo.m

jo.m

I would caution you to not use the DTN/IQ feed because I subscribed to it -- to use it with Ensign Windows, which was rated so highly on ET and because several posters here said the two work very well together. Well, the combination of the two totally trashed hours of my work yesterday AND today (I use a lot of custom indicators, trend lines, etc, etc - which is very time consuming) when the data feed was very sloooowwww and I tried to cancel a new chart because it was almost 5 minutes, the chart had still not loaded, and the stock I was checking was moving quickly. In spite of telling this whole tale of woe to the DTN customer service rep, he insisted that I will still be billed for an entire extra month because if I cancel today there are not 15 days before my next billing cycle is due. I then talked to the DTN support person - more than an hour later, still no solution. It's only $50 for the extra month, but it's the principal of the thing. And I'm not willing to chance using it again for active trading! Thankfully, I had sell limit orders in place both times before the whole disaster happened. The Ensign Windows is very glitchy and difficult to use, especially to switch between different time frames, and I'm going back to ESignal. I used that for years and had zero problems. I am going to post the same concerns as a separate thread.

jo.m

#16     Apr 26, 2007
  7. Most programming options are not so different (including the neoticker code I've seen on the web and tradestation's easy(lol)language). An alternative is spreadsheet style indicator creation.

If you can do spreadsheets (excel) then you might like Sierra Chart. One of the options is to build your indicators using worksheets.

#17     Apr 26, 2007
  8. I created real-time TICK and indexes with eSignal and DDE. I no longer use it, as excel uses a lot of cycles and the marginal increase in information wasn't worth it.

#18     May 1, 2007
  9. rcj

rcj