Is There a Router Like This?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eldredge, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Eldredge

Eldredge

Is there a router that can be connected to both Cable and DSL, and use both connections? I would like to have the redundancy in case of failure, and it would be nice to be able to use the bandwidth from both connections. Of course, speed - or lack of delays - is important. I would do a search, but if this exists, i don't know what it is called. Thanks for any help.

2. Eldredge

Eldredge

No suggestions, so I'm guessing this probably doesn't exist.

3. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

4. There are routers that allow you to choose between cable or DSL and have an additional phone modem backup. If one method dies, you can switch to the other. Either option will output standard ethernet. It's conceivable that you can use the rj11 phone backup as the DSL line and have it automatically switched in the event of cable failure. You'd have to look at the product in more detail.

I doubt there's such a product that runs both outputs simultaneously, however. Moderating between both systems running in parallel would be pretty difficult. I doubt any standard protocol exists to do this.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/review/dlink-di-714.asp

5. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks Big Apple. I gues it's just called a dual-mode router. I'll have to see what else I can find.

6. secxces

secxces

Yes, there our actually numerous ones available. I have one from westell, but I have seen many from multiple companies. And yes, its dual-mode.

Although, there suppose to switch over to the auxillary when one drops but for some reason if you lose your connection but it doesnt drop all the way, like still conected, but not transmitting on your cable line, it wont switch over. Im told the heavy duty expensive ones like 300-500 range will automatically switch over and constantly check the connection by consistent pinging.

- secXces

7. Jachyra

Jachyra

I've been using one of these for almost two years and so far no complaints:

http://www.hotbrick.com/produto.asp?tipo=2&codPro=7

The only negative I can say about these types of devices, which is really more of a software issue than a hardware issue, is that because of the way that UDP works, when it switches from one connection to the other, programs like X_TRADER and CQG require a restart in order to resume normal operations.

8. I dont think a restart is necessary at least for tt. There was a big debate about this on their user forum last year.

http://forums.tradingtechnologies.com/showthread.php?t=214&page=2&highlight=router

Date: 5/21/2007
    Number: CA065-07
    Subject: X_TRADER® Remote Enhancements in 7.x
    Products Impacted: X_TRADER, Guardian, TT Messaging
    Attachments: None

X_TRADER® Remote Enhancements in 7.x

Trading Technologies has added several new features in Guardian™ 7.4.2 and TTM 1.7.1 which should greatly improve the trading experience for traders using X_TRADER® Remote.

* Hot failover for X_TRADER Remote is now available. Remote traders may now specify two X_TRADER Remote Hosts in the Guardian TTM Daemon setup screen. In the event that the connection to the first X_TRADER Remote Host is lost, X_TRADER will immediately failover its connection to the second X_TRADER Remote Host.

9. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

Hosts and Links are 2 different subjects.

Hosts are servers, from the TT explanation is that if your remote server goes down for whichever reason, then it will failover and try to connect to the 2nd one configured in TT Guardian. in the case you going tru the same link still.

In the case of a complete different link. [ cable, dsl,... ], the problem is that Guardian is trying to get somewhere from a Link. if that link goes down, then i tgets puzzled a bit... since the routing changed.
    Since you log in from an IP X, when you switch connection with IP Y, the remote server doesn't know that you are the same person. So your login from IP X will timeout.

So technically, you have no choice unfortunately to login again, and usually Guardian gets confused and i would suggest [ because it is a quicker and safer fix ] to simply restart Guardian then log back in and hope you didn't lose too much time and that you didn't have a position...

hope this make sense. ;p

10. Just buy 2 routers and set up 2 networks on your computer. Some config required but everywhere on google.

#10     Oct 8, 2008