Is there a real difference between having 200 million or 500 million?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Debaser82, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Nonsense. For example, if you want to build a new resort complex at a cost of $300 million, then you need more than $300 million. If you want to start a charitable foundation to provide $10 million per annum in donations, you need about $300 million to be able to provide enough income. If you want to buy large tracts of land to preserve it from development, you needs 100s of millions etc.

#11     Aug 11, 2011
  2. Maybe the 500 million number was a bit high but it's not like rich people are all only worth like 10 million or so.

There are a lot of rich people worth a lot more and I was curious how the swings in their net worth affect their life(style)...

Maybe a stupid question sure.

#12     Aug 11, 2011
  3. Due Buy

Due Buy

Even then, I know paranoids and neurotics who get along just fine with a $100k or less salary.

#13     Aug 11, 2011
  4. heech

heech

With $500 mm, I could blow $300 mm on Megan Fox... And still have $200 mm left over.

#14     Aug 11, 2011
  5. Whats the difference between 500 and $200 mill? About $300 million motherfucker !

#15     Aug 11, 2011
  6. I think what people fail to understand about having 200 million or 500 million is its usually not all liquid. Regular people imagine someone with 200 million or 500 million as people that have that cash just sitting in their checking account waiting to spend it.

Many people that come into 1 million dollars think its alot of money, but its not. 1 million dollars in some dividend paying stocks (safe stocks) might give you $30-40k per year in income.

When you have 100s of millions, you hang around a different crowd. If you have a friend worth 500 million that just dropped 50 million dollars on a jet plane and you are worth 200 million, do you really want to spend 25% of your net worth on a plane too? Maybe not.

Unless of course you are an idiot like Soulja boy who bought a 55 million dollar jet when his net worth is only 23 million.

http://www.therichest.org/celebnetworth/celeb/rappers/soulja-boy-net-worth/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gos...ys-55-million-jet-gulfstream-g5-birthday.html

#16     Aug 11, 2011
  7. The difference between 300 million and 500 million is wealth recovery time. With 500 you can park alot in the SP 500, blue chips and use the remainder for higher return rates. With the smaller amount of capital the risk that can be taken is less so the likely growth rate is slowed down. In this market there is alot of big money waiting to be put back in when the bottom is hit and retested many times. It is matter of size and scale.

Akuma

#17     Aug 12, 2011