Is there a platform that has built in debugging? For the love of G-d???

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by snackly, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Lucky

Lucky

Thanks for the info. Gave the code a very cursory review right now and it looks good. Most open-source financial software I've looked at is done kinda amateurishly.

So kudos to you (I assume you're Josh / the developer?)

I'll check out the svn this weekend and really try it out (if I have time).

:D

#21     Sep 18, 2008
  2. I'm assuming since it works elsewhere, you have it configured like this:

http://code.google.com/p/tradelink/wiki/TwsConfiguration

with default port 7496?

if you open a dos window and type 'telnet localhost 7496' does it connect (screen goes blank), or display 'connection failed'?

are you running the latest TWS build?

if you want, PM me and I'll help you figure it out. it's something simple for sure.

#22     Sep 18, 2008
  3. snackly

snackly

Can it handle tick backtesting? Anything in a script language will probably suffer for tick based backtesting.

#23     Sep 18, 2008
  4. Lucky

Lucky

Haven't installed yet, just browsed code :)

also, IB isn't my broker but I could always open an account if this software works out...

was just looking for solid backtesting and possible future autotrading at the present

thanks for the help offer, I'll take you up if I run into any trouble

#24     Sep 18, 2008
  5. Lucky

Lucky

Oops, ignore that last message, somehow I posted before Snackly's message showed up (but saw the one after)?

#25     Sep 19, 2008
  6. Snackly, have you got the answer? If yes, please let us know. Thanks! :)

#26     Jan 7, 2009
  7. TWS has to be configured before it will respond to any software trying to access the API, just a thought..

Personally I never needed a debugger for any trading software. I write all code first as an indicator. I can debug it by seeing the outputs on a chart. Only after it is all up and running and to my liking in that form do I use the code as a strategy...

#27     Jan 7, 2009
  8. That works until your strategies get complex. A solid strategy usually has various exit rules, and various money managements rules and include several indicators.

What gets complicated are the interrelationships to these. IMHO.

Or it could be just us programmers use debuggers so much as work we expect it any time we write some code in the modern world because it's ridiculously quick and easy to do when you have a debugger.

Wayne

#28     Jan 7, 2009
  9. TS8 has a debugger. I found it to not be any more use than just, as I said, coding things as an indicator first... true, once I use all the code that I have come to know and love in indicator form in a strategy, debugging is harder, have to use print statements, but so far it's been no impediment much at all. At that point I'm looking at the chart and seeing if orders go off when they should and not going off when they should not...

#29     Jan 7, 2009
  10. Not a programmer but learned to code so as to use basic charting software. What are the debuggers for? If it's only to catch coding errors then even Amibroker has that. I have to agree with the idea though that its easier to create the individual indicators and build up from there since it allows one to verify from the chart so that what you think you are coding is actually being interpreted by the program correctly. I don't see a substitute for this. Plenty of times I made legitimate code but close inspection of the chart showed I didn't factor in certain variables or didn't express myself precisely enough.

#30     Jan 7, 2009