is the US the next Argentina?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Aug 6, 2010.

1. zdreg

zdreg

nothing is "exactly" analogous. but currency flight/collapse flight is still currency flight/collapse.

#21     Jul 5, 2011
  2. zdreg

zdreg

when the shit hits the fan the federal government will take on the state obligations. that is what happened in Argentina which then led to its financial collapse. the provinces in argentina couldn't print money. when they couldn't pay their workers the workers went on strike. the central gov't came in and took over the province's obligations. the situation will repeat in the US.

#22     Jul 5, 2011
  3. achilles28

achilles28

I agree.

#23     Jul 5, 2011
  4. zdreg

zdreg

#24     Oct 2, 2011
  5. Butterball

Butterball

Greece can't print Euros. Argentina had a pegged currency but couldn't print US Dollars. The US situation is absolutely nothing like Greece nor Argentina. The comparison is downright laughable.

#25     Oct 2, 2011
  6. The US situation is absolutely nothing like Greece nor Argentina. The comparison is downright laughable.

---------------------------------------------------------

Agree, we could end up more like Wemar Germany when hyper inflation kicks in. Of course that could be years down the road, if not a decade.

The US GOV has kicked the Can down the road for at least 5 years, they may kick it down even further.

However, how the US can compare to Greece and Argentina is the Mental attitude of the people who are unemployed, or working for very low wages. The tide is starting to rise. One month at a time.

If the economy does turn around, which is very doubtful, then maybe the US will stay off major rioting events. However, with real unemployment at near 20% and no end in sight for lower numbers anytime soon, what is laughable ButterBall is that fact that you see no comparison to Greece and Argentina from the sound of it.

#26     Oct 2, 2011
  7. morganist

morganist Guest

The US will be nastier if it happens.

#27     Oct 2, 2011
  8. zdreg

zdreg

"The US GOV has kicked the Can down the road for at least 5 years, they may kick it down even further."

please explain why you believe this is the case.

#28     Oct 3, 2011
  9. morganist

morganist Guest

I know it is not me you are asking for an answer. But my view is that it will be political pressure and the lack of having other options. They will just print money off until no one wants it anymore.

#29     Oct 3, 2011
  10. zdreg

zdreg

it is obvious from my post which included the source of my quote that I was asking the person who made the statement to respond.

#30     Oct 3, 2011