Is the US bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pekelo, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Daal wrote...

The change can be made through cutting taxes on investing and saving to decrease the consumption culture and encourage production, cut government spending on the entitlement programs to pay for those.
    Any politician who tries to run on this base will be destroyed by the leftwing media and the democrats. I say learn chinese

.....................................................................................................

Excellent Commentary...

Yes taxes are an add on cost that certainly effects productivity...

This is why it is absolutely imperative for the US to establish a simple form of consumption tax....with no further type of taxes..

The simple reason is Globalization....This is one of the costs that have to come into line...and can further equilibrate the Chinese costs...

I would suggest another cost to be adjusted is legal largesse...
    ie Paulson at this moment is asking for the relaxation of Sarbanes Oxley etc...

I would suggest that legal largesse be corrected first because this can be done with the stroke of a pen...and does not require 20 year changeover periods ie FORD plants etc....

Absolutely....correcting LEGAL LARGESSE and TAXES would go a long way towards making the US more competitive ....

Do you really think that the labor in China...and the land in China is that different ?....or can the advantages be related to items such as TAXES...LEGAL LARGESSE...etc.... Or does the US want to make sure that the tax picture and legal picture is the same in other countries ?

#31     Dec 4, 2006
  2. socalpt

socalpt

"....The simple reason is Globalization....This is one of the costs that have to come into line...and can further equilibrate the Chinese costs..."

Globalization is the reason why Ford lost it's automobile business in China; guess what happened, China is planning to export 100,0000 car next year using Ford's manufacturing and what happened to Ford, you know the story.

The story will go on and on to other key technologies as well; aerospace business, missiles, satellite... We are losing the edges every second. Globalization comes with a great cost, we are losing critical technologies faster than you can imagine.

#32     Dec 4, 2006
  3. Daal

Daal

Its not a net loss, specially for the world

#33     Dec 4, 2006
  4. Artie21

Artie21

#34     Dec 4, 2006
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

I just love when someone gives me help to refute him!

OK, I went to their website:

Latest news release -- 6/29/06
    The U.S. net international investment position at year end 2005 was -$2,693.8 billion (preliminary) with direct investment valued at current cost, as the value of foreign investments in the United States exceeded the value of U.S. investments abroad.

In my book that is one fucking big negative position, but hey, I only have 3rd grade education... :)

And they probably haven't even added the Iraq war as cost...

P.S.: For extra credit:

Latest news release -- 11/9/06
    Total September exports of $123.2 billion and imports of $187.5 billion resulted in a goods and services deficit of $64.3 billion. (Joint release with the U.S. Census Bureau)

#35     Dec 4, 2006
  6. All I want is a buying opportunity, not some dip, I want a major correction, some real fear. Buying today not for me.

#36     Dec 4, 2006
  7. Artie21

Artie21

I love when a moron steps in his own shit.

The earnings on those investments runs net positive for the United States.

Keep at it, you will make it to the 4th grade one day. Where's your mother, btw?

#37     Dec 5, 2006
  8. Not exactly,

Most of those returns are manufactured mumbo jumbo by the paper pushers. You must be relying on that Dark Matter paper.

It makes sense, but it's all paper. It is happening due to the advancement of the financial industry and its heavy growth.

The fact is that USA would not be able to redeem all of its outstanding debt if it was all called on. This stands true for more than just US, more like the whole world. I doubt even the EPA land can support it.

It is true that US borrows at a lower rate and relends/reinvests at a higher, but at the same time, the government cannot keep operating without constantly issuing more debt. That's a key problem. That's why the consecutive debt ceiling raises are not a center topic in the media. Because it makes you think, if US is making all these great returns, why can't it stop borrowing?

#38     Dec 5, 2006
  9. Last I checked... US debt was AAA rated.
    Pretty much eveything else lower... and riskier.

The people setting Debt Ratings are genius-level, objective, and ruthless...
    And know more about this than all of you put together times 1000...
    Or else their product would have no value...
    In an ** extremely competitive ** Debt Rating industry.

#39     Dec 5, 2006
  10. dhpar

dhpar

hohoho... that's why they assign AAA to 15x leveraged notes (CPDOs).

#40     Dec 5, 2006