Is the US....A Giant Iceland ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by libertad, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Ever been to Seattle? There is such a thing as too many stupid white people. I can take about one week of that place.

#21     Nov 12, 2008
  2. I don't mean a specific form of revolution, just whatever gets the job done; although it looks to me like the problems are dug in so deep, that nothing short of violence will do it. Certainly the government will resort to violence if they have to. But, I have no experience what that sort of thing (who does?).

#22     Nov 12, 2008
  3. Does anyone here think we can spend more than we earn forever?

Does anyone here think we can borrow more forever?

Does anyone here think we can import more than we export forever, borrowing or selling assets for the difference?

Does anyone here think our government can spend more than it taxes forever?

Let's be honest. We really do. But is it realistic to expect it? Iceland's problems were 1 /1000th the size. There isn't going to be anyone able to bail out the U.S.

#23     Nov 13, 2008
  4. the UK is the next Iceland, check the Sterling, it ranks among the weakest currency for the last 3 months in line with BRL, TRL, ZAR and RUB.

#24     Nov 13, 2008
  5. At its most basic, Iceland was fisherman offering high interest rates. Now its just fisherman.

New Zealand are my pick for next implosion ...sheep farmers offering high interest rates.

#25     Nov 13, 2008
  6. The sheep have more brains than the farmers:D

#26     Nov 13, 2008
  7. actually sheep farming is not that big part of the economy any longer. world wide there is a big demand for dairy products and the new zealand dairy industry has a major stake in the world wide production and marketing. seen the prices of milk. butter and cheese go up this year?

India and China are developping a taste for western food (milk, meat, cheese) which is a very inefficient way of producing food, in other words world wide there are going to be problems with food production. it ain't helping either that a lot of soy and palm oil is being used for fuel replacing rice paddies.

but the nzd may come down a lot more imho as the powers in charge in treasury have as much brains as a sheep. btw did you know a sheep can recognize 8 human faces and 50 different "sheep" faces?

oh, on another note: the new incoming prime minister, John Key was at one of the large trading outfits in NY and he is worth a bob or two. it's claimed he was a money trader, it will be an interesting experiment to say the least...

maria

#27     Nov 13, 2008
  8. An 18th century historian laid out the basic blueprint for this:

"The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these
    nations always progressed through the following sequence
    1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
    2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
    3. From courage to liberty;
    4. From liberty to abundance;
    5. From abundance to complacency;
    6. From complacency to apathy;
    7. From apathy to dependence;
    8. From dependence back into bondage "

Yes We Can... move up to phase 7.

#28     Nov 13, 2008
  9. It has ever been this type of functioning.

Though i don't know, if nuclear total wars is still a parameter that are making this relevant in a time of scarce ressource.

In short, could we resort to self-destruction because of the shame of having spend all the natural ressources on earth?

#29     Nov 15, 2008