Is the UK finished?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MohdSalleh, Jan 28, 2010.

1. As much as I despise feeding flamers, I feel I must respond.

1. Name calling automatically discredits any type of logical argument you may or may not make. (you did not make one by the way).

2. If I am wrong, please tell me why. Since you simply posted a like to google.com and said "look it up", I can reasonably assume that you have no idea why I might be right or why I might be wrong. You simply would like to start an argument.

#21     Jan 29, 2010
  2. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

moron - last post then im done with you.

the word in LINK, not LIKE

again, your basic grasp of language lets you down

as i stated before, you are expressing an OPINION.

therefore, you a like a woman - bleeting on about irrelevant shit.

ZZZZZzzzzzzz......

#22     Jan 29, 2010

3. My opinion is that WW1 is the major event that destroyed the British Empire's economic dominance. You proceeded to come out of the woodwork and tell me how wrong I am. Please, explain how I am wrong. Why is my opinion incorrect? I can provide facts to back up my opinion, but I fear it will be a waste of time as you are clearly only looking for an argument.

Since you are reverting to picking out spelling mistakes in my post instead of having an actual debate, you have proven my point that you have no clue about the topic at hand.

#23     Jan 29, 2010
  4. The UK's been finished for a long time now. The only thing keeping it financially afloat these past few decades was the banking sector that rode the global credit bubble (now popped) and North Sea Oil (now in decline).

Maybe they can get a Spice Girls reunion world tour to pay some bills?

Soon, the UK will be like Greece - but without the beaches, the sun, and the frolicking topless swedish tourist babes.

BOOOYAH!

#24     Jan 29, 2010
  5. Is the UK finished or it the Pound finished?

We're talking oranges and apples here.
    Many superpowers (USA, China, Japan) have devalued currencies.
    In fact, a weak currency may boost exports.

#25     Jan 29, 2010
  6. What do they do? Outside of the North Sea and their now crippled financial sector..... what do they got?

The US dollar can slide, but the US still has natural resources, manufacturing, Hollywood, agriculture, etc....

Remember the UK before the global credit bubble and before Lady Thatcher privatized efforts to extract North Sea Oil? It was a mess.

Guess what? It's going right back to that.

#26     Jan 29, 2010

7. Truff

#27     Jan 29, 2010
  8. Hmmm, let's see...

Going by manufacturing output, where do you think UK ranks among the world's countries? Just a wild guess would do...

What about when its competitiveness is measured against that of other countries using one of the common metrics?

#28     Jan 29, 2010
  9. henry76

henry76

just to reiterate , uk's economic dominence maybe ended , germany lost ww2, but both are still here , they havn't ended , they are not finished , who know's oneday in a hundred years time uk may give up the pound for the euro , when it does then the pound is finished , though the pound is not the uk , again , finished means ended /no more ,bad terrible things do not mean finished , they mean bad terrible things , no more no less , and certainly not finished .

#29     Jan 30, 2010
  10. zdreg

zdreg

Iceland's revenge.

Well deserved for trying to kick Iceland around.
    What goes around come around.

#30     Jan 30, 2010