Is the trend really your friend?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Remiraz, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Check out the dax, EuroStoxx 50, Cac40 from may until august. The Bund, Bobl, JGBs, and Long Gilt from April to mid-june. The mexican peso since march through august, copper (LME and New York), the Hang Seng, March 06 eurodollars, Unleaded Gas, IPE Gas Oil, Brent Crude Oil, and Light Sweet crude oil and tell me you don't see trends. Want even a better look change your chart to weekly.

#31     Aug 8, 2005
  2. ifinitis

ifinitis

The Title of the thread is “Is the trend really your friend” so I will first respond to that.

Yes, trends are your friend, if, you know how to identify them and trade them. Since we are traders, not investors, we focus on shorter term trends and use longer term trends to further direct our trades.

For a simple example: If a stock you are trading is trending up in a daily/5 min chart, you may use the trend lines to identify buys at the bottom of the trend channel and sells at the top. While doing this you check longer term charts; such as, weekly, monthly, 3 months, etc. In the weekly/hourly chart you see key resistance directly ahead so you may elect to sell there, buy again if it beaks out from the weekly trend, or sell short if the trend reverses.

While following trends alone may be successful for others, I feel that using trends along with key resistance points, good indicators, confirmation from the General Markets, Sector strength, and stock fundamentals is the most successful way of making a trend friendly.

Some people have a natural ability to see trends and trade them, but they should be useful to anyone who really wants to apply them.

I am not a Guru, nor do I wish to present myself as one. Trends work for me for equity trading, as they do for many other people.

I concur.

#32     Aug 8, 2005
  3. 11909 in January 2000 was the all time high for the Dow, that was 67 months ago. I guess you could say we have been running in place.

#33     Aug 8, 2005