Is the Rally almost over??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Trend Fader, May 16, 2003.

1. I disagree.. this rally has more to it than short covering... thats what people think but it really has more to do with ending the war.. and hopefully the economy rebounding...

Shorts covering does not cause stocks to rally for multi months.... short covering is those huge pops you see on a chart.. not nice sustained uptrends.. such as Ebay...

#11     May 16, 2003
  2. tmb

tmb

In the past 4 days ES has made 4 slightly higher highs, reversing hard each time. Yet the buyers keep coming back...

#12     May 16, 2003
  3. Maverick1

Maverick1

Mike,

Yeah I agree completely. Listen, we were there on that EBAY thread, and I posted when it was basing in a tight range. I was alarmed by the number of top pickers on the thread and simply said listen, wait for the market to tip its hand. It blasted through resistance shortly after to close around 93 0r 94. Today it's at 99 and moving on to 100.

One can't predict. Only react and hope that your odds are correct.

Mav.

#13     May 16, 2003
  4. It's seasonal. That's all. Spring pop is running out of steam.

#14     May 16, 2003

5. I dont really follow news ever.. just look at the charts...

Take a look at S, KSS, GNTX, GM, EXPD, WSM, SUP

#15     May 16, 2003
  6. Another.. great tool I use to gauge market strength is to look at what the market leaders are doing... I run a scan and look for all the stocks that made the greatest moves since the beginning of the rally... If there trendlines start to break espececially on high volume.. then I know the market is ready to turn.. this works better than any indicator...

For now... look at EBAY, HITK, COH, YHOO, AMZN, GRMN, MVL, SOHU, ASKJ.. there are many others...

#16     May 16, 2003
  7. There has been a trendline break. It's my signal to get short.

I never said that I'll be short for the next few weeks, it's just a short term scalp, but it could turn into a multi-day move. I can't tell yet. I do know that there are opportunities to make money by getting short, even in a market that is in an uptrend. :cool:

#17     May 16, 2003
  8. I am primarily a swing trader.. so my comments are in the context of days to weeks...

Look at my chart of the nasdaq on the first post.. I dont see a trendline break yet??

#18     May 16, 2003
  9. The trendline that I'm talking about is on an intraday chart. The ES broke the trendline at 944, where I got short. I've covered that short already at 941 and 942.

Seen on the 2 min charts. Trendline started yesterday afternoon and extends into this morning's opening range. The ES market took out yesterday' high within the first fifteen minutes, at that point I drew my trendline. It was subsequently broken soon after.

#19     May 16, 2003
  10. lindq

lindq

If you have been profiting from shorts for the past two years, I submit that you might want to start reconsidering your short strategies. IMHO, there is a lot of new found support out there for any sign of weakness, and pullbacks are short lived. The key sign of a new bull market.

Just my two cents.

#20     May 16, 2003