Is the job market currently that pathetic?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by thenmmm, Nov 22, 2010.

1. to unemployed or soon to be unemployed : whatever you do, do not expect trading to replace your salary !!

Except if you give yourself 5 years to learn fulltime and can support yourself during that time and still have money left. And accept that you may fail and have plan b.

Unless, you can afford to have low key life. Couple of K a year can be achieved immediately. I did it with intraday trading futures.

then you say its easy to scale up? Hehe, there are couple of traps on that path. And you will fall in all of them one by one.

#21     Nov 24, 2010
  2. zigzag

zigzag

Can you elaborate on what these traps are? Liquidity and psychology (staying disciplined while dealing with bigger losses) are the most obvious, what else should we look out for when trying to scale up?

#22     Nov 24, 2010
  3. Roark

Roark

How about a demonstration Mav? Apply for a few of those 3-4K jobs in your city and let us know how many employment offers you get.

#23     Nov 24, 2010
  4. two you mentioned already.

Here another one: once your winnings increase, have to ensure that can actually take out winnings. Not as straightforward as it looks :( Suggest trading futures over fxbroker or cfd once you big enough to handle 2 - 3 futures contracts. Real stocks over broker sponsored. Read tiny print. Essentially broker can rob you at their leisure.

Futures offer legal shield and you are not trading against broker therefore less chances of rip-off.

#24     Nov 24, 2010
  5. the1

the1

Yes it is. Went and grabbed the Chicago Tribune over the weekend and there were three pages of job listings. Granted, most jobs are advertised electronically these days but even those listings are full of fluff. There are more sales jobs listed than any other category. Some job listings even have the balls to ask for money up front for training with no guarantee of a position afterwards. It will be interesting to see what happens when the extended benefits folks get cut off soon. Two million people with no source of income. I guess food stamps are gonna rise by about 2 million and a load of houses are gonna be foreclosed. Hard, hard times.

#25     Nov 24, 2010
  6. can you please enlighen me. How can this situation arise in country with so high income per capita ? See houses there are 1/10 of what they are in AUS and income here less than US. Why people dont buy house for 50K? Here media discourage buying in US house for 50K for investment as people will lose money and encourage buying one here for 500K :confused:

#26     Nov 24, 2010
  7. Roark

Roark

How much does health insurance cost where you live? Maybe you can buy a house for 50K in the US, but you need 500K for health insurance if you don't have a job that provides it.

#27     Nov 24, 2010
  8. well, i guess health insurance here not free but not big deal. BUT.

You can rely on chinese or indian traditional medicine and gets really cheap and no side effects. These guys everywhere. Actually works. Western medicine has not proven to be better. See life longevity tables.

that cant be that big deal, in my opinion at least.

#28     Nov 24, 2010
  9. I have a job and don't want other companies calling my boss as a reference. If I use fake references then I for sure wouldn't get a call back thereby defeating the "test". I cannot imagine companies wasting the time to post "fake" job listings though. I am sure there are people actively looking for work but how many will refuse to take a job that pays less than their old one or one that pays less than unemployment? Actually in terms of pure economics (leaving moral and social implications aside) it would not really be a smart move to take a job making less than unemployment and I get that, but therein lies the problem. As long as unemployment keeps getting extended, and is paying more than jobs that you can get, who would want to work?

#29     Nov 24, 2010
  10. Roark

Roark

It is the big deal. Ever hear of Obamacare? People are afraid to start small businessess or any business really, because they cannot afford health insurance. It goes up every year, while incomes are decreasing. The fear and uncertainty is inhibiting business starts, which is adversely affecting the employment market, which is adversely affecting the housing market.

#30     Nov 24, 2010