Is the IB backfill working?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by ADX_trader, May 2, 2007.

1. I was previously having some technical issues, other than backfill, which were not being adequately addressed by certain IB employees. This thread got the attention of employees with greater expertise, so that not only are they looking into backfill problems, I am now pleasantly surprised to find that they are now also looking into my other issues.

The realities of complex software are that companies need to include customers in their troubleshooting efforts. IB should be praised, not criticized, for doing so. IB's willingness to do this is one of the things that makes IB such a strong competitor.

#21     May 8, 2007
  2. kostia00

kostia00 Interactive Brokers

Update:

1) we've identified an issue in TWS 871 where it mistakenly alerts the user to the "HMDS disconnect" when one has a line chart that is kept up-to-date. Since the line charts are not using the backend 5-second bars, the disconnect is done because the connection is not used, and does not affect the chart (ie the line chart keeps updating). TWS 872 beta corrects the problem.

2) we are suspecting a certain security-related setting on the backend could have caused the backfill problems that started on May 2nd. For today, the setting has been reverted to old value: please post or PM me if you are still experiencing the same problem.

Thanks!

#22     May 9, 2007
    #23     May 9, 2007
  4. It doesn't say the same to me. It says to me that a number of customers, complaining about the same problem, are a factor contributing to a higher prioritization of their support issue. It further says to me that investigation and communications, re: one particular issue, can sometimes incidentally result in heightened and better attention to other issues.

Many people who complain publicly about problems at IB do not automatically get what they want and are not even making meritorious complaints. Many people who complain privately and quietly about meritorious problems do get their problems addressed. Some problems fall through the cracks, but if a number of customers are able to agree that a particular problem exists, then of course IB should and does look more closely at that issue.

I would agree that there are problems with some customer support employees needing better motivation, or better knowledge and skills, or perhaps greater authority, to move issues forward, and that this is a legitimate area for criticism and improvement. I would also challenge you to name a competitor, doing what IB does and doing it better than IB.

#24     May 9, 2007
  5. Well stated, you make a good arguement. You have done a lot on this site in this regard. It would appear to me they have some internal discord or something. When issues are addressed here they seem to get quick attention. Perhaps moreso than if someone contacts them personally. Just my thoughts but it would be interesting to hear from others if that has been their experience or not.

#25     May 9, 2007
  6. Thank you kostia00 and John at IB. Backfill seems to be coming through fine now.

#26     May 9, 2007
  7. I had the same failure in IB datafeed for charts earlier on - Owntrade told me the HMDS server wasn't connecting.

Now it charts fine, but I'm getting a strange problem - some of the backfill is missing!

I just fired up a 5 minute bar chart for the australian SPI contract, and it has the following bars (all exchange time)

9:55
    10:00
    11:00
    11:05

a whole bunch of bars between 10:05 to 10:55 are missing!

A similar thing happened when I started up a new chart for ES earlier today - missing bars.

Perhaps the IB folks might have a clarification for this data artifact?

#27     May 9, 2007