Is the gov't an economy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nutmeg, Feb 6, 2013.

1. piezoe

piezoe

And 9 bucks definitely not. A step in the right direction, but no one should be asked to work for that, even a high school kid on summer vacation. That's absurd.

#41     Feb 13, 2013
  2. zdreg

zdreg

it is not absurd when your productivity does not make you worth nine dollars and you need job experience to develop and improve skills in order that u can get significantly higher wages in the future.
    of course piezoe believes that you are better off on at home playing video games. then when you turn 21 you can get welfare benefits from the gov't. and watch tv all day while doing drugs and drinking.

way to go piezoe.

#42     Feb 13, 2013
  3. piezoe

piezoe

You might be happier in India where wages are somewhat lower.

#43     Feb 13, 2013
  4. zdreg

zdreg

it is old trick, when people have lost an argument they personalize the argument. instead of offering a retort point by point to my post you write a comment that gives dribble a bad name.

#44     Feb 13, 2013
  5. And where inflation's lower therefore?

Then so that the minimum wage is $10 we say employers must also pay for all continuing education college classes their employees want to take! How's that?

#45     Feb 13, 2013
  6. I'd be willing to pay more for a hamburger to help someone get a livable wage, don't worry, it won't be livable very long

where are all the people complaing $7.25/hr is outrageously high?

there were plenty when it went up the last time

we go through this everytime it gets raised, and the sky never falls

#46     Feb 13, 2013
  7. I certainty hope piezoe is being sarcastic...If markets were permitted to work how they are supposed to work (with no distortions, such as the grand minimum wage), then wage rates will change to reflect the true supply and demand of labor. This is directly correlated to PRODUCTIVITY. So, raising the minimum wage will probably result in more unemployment.

#47     Feb 14, 2013
  8. McDonalds already operates with the exact minimum workers they need per shift. They won't hire anymore no matter how low the wage. And they won't fire any no matter how high.

at anyrate,other than to the poor people working for it, this is an itty bitty issue.

especially the argument which is worse, 7 or 9 dollars per hour.

Show me the politician who campaigns and wins on "Eliminating the Minimum Wage."

#48     Feb 14, 2013
  9. TGregg

TGregg

If raising the MW to $9 is a good idea, but $10 is better, how about $20? Why not? Heck, let's go with a solid benjie, $100 an hour minimum wage! We can vote ourselves rich!

And while we are making our lives perfect with these awesome laws, we should outlaw hurricanes, tornadoes and other bad weather - now that I think of it, we should ban rain on weekends too.

#49     Feb 14, 2013
  10. piezoe

piezoe

I'm not being sarcastic. I strongly believe that we need a minimum wage in the $10/ hour area at the present time. It make no sense to me for the American tax payer to subsidize low wage workers. I makes far more sense from my perspective to force employers to pay a living wage and get their employees off the public dole. Prices will rise of course, but it's a bad idea to keep them artificially low. I prefer an economy that to the extent possible operates on the principle of supply and demand, where the governments chief role is to protect free enterprise from the capitalists. We would benefit greatly from wages that were more competitive with unemployment benefits. You can either reduce unemployment benefits or raise wages. The latter is the better approach in my opinion.

Sadly, under laissez faire capitalism, markets did not work the way we supposed they would work. Something about human nature interfered. We did that experiment in the nineteenth and early twentieth century, and we did not like the result.

#50     Feb 14, 2013