Is the gov't an economy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nutmeg, Feb 6, 2013.

1. zdreg

zdreg

exactly.

why don't u admit it (come out of the closet)? it will be bring a great sense of relief to you

#31     Feb 9, 2013
  2. Even though Piezoe is very civil in these debates, I also believe him to be a closet communist.

#32     Feb 9, 2013
  3. All biases aside, the government contributes to an output. Even more so in the times of a deficit...

#33     Feb 10, 2013
  4. ah you know piezoe, I like to rant and rave. It can gp the other way. Look at India, where evrybody is on piece work under horrible conditions.

I'm kind of an extreme old fashionedist. The land is here and I can fish and hunt to feed my family. If you take my land away from me, then you owe me something.

But when jobs become the governments responsibility (for crying out loud, now monetary policy of the fed is based on how many people have one) it is in my opinion a superiority complex institutionalized.

I'm a huge safety net guy. As you know, I think 50% of the population at any time should qualify for food stamps. But I would rather they look at a job as a safety net. It's what you need if you just can't make it in business for yourself.

It should be very hard to lure a man from working for himself to working for you. You must pay him well, give him good working conditions, and offer some benefits he wouldn't otherwise have.

in short, I would just divide the world up between employed and self employed. There would be no such thing as unemployed.

sorry if I blamed you for everything they say on msnbc

#34     Feb 10, 2013
  5. zdreg

zdreg

the greatest proponents and apologists for communism have always been outside of the former soviet union.

#35     Feb 10, 2013
  6. oh, so you are a capitalist, do you work for them? Do they pay you? Or are you independent?

I heard they were infiltrating social media.

But I didn't know they would stoop so low as to post on ET.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Power to the people.

or if you have it your way, power to the corporations.

we'll get you in the end

because

"corporations are people my friend"

#36     Feb 10, 2013
  7. zdreg

zdreg

them?

#37     Feb 10, 2013
  8. He is a communist if he doesn't know what's wrong with the suggestions he was making in this thread.

The market determines wages, not politicians. Minimum wage laws make finding work unprofitable for younger adults, especially millenials, and the minimum wage or living wage nutcases don't realize that this is particularly why those of that generation cannot find employment above subsistence very easily or are able to find the mythical 'good job' since boomers commonly expect certain skills that were profitably attainable at the minimum wage they had when they were children. But as teenagers or twenty year olds today, the minimum wage crowds out those of my generation from finding work that they can enjoy a long career path in, because the minimum wage prevents employers from making a profit at artificially high wages.

If nobody understands that overpayment to employees reduces efficiency (ie:the profits of the employers which reduces the incentive to hire), it's really only in areas where the wages are already high that such laws would be marginally allowable. The impact of those laws is less in the areas with high minimum wages, but in other less populated areas those laws will reduce employment and this result is guaranteed.

Too much unemployment is much worse than undercompensation.

#38     Feb 11, 2013
  9. Agreed. Production is directly correlated to the labor market and wage rate. Congress and blind voters can't wrap their heads around efficiency, they think that they are throwing money right into these people's pockets.

#39     Feb 12, 2013
  10. piezoe

piezoe

I was pleased to hear the President, apparently a fellow communist :D, mention the need to raise the minimum wage, although 10 bucks/hr is not quite high enough in my opinion, but a step in the right direction. Don't you agree, Bwolinski?

#40     Feb 12, 2013