Is the crisis really that bad?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by thenmmm, Oct 25, 2010.

1. sjfan

sjfan

What's the point of putting down things that you pretend to know that no one in the industry will believe you know and get passed because of it? If he wrote instead that he's a newly minted guy with some good background in programming and math relevant to finance, he'd actually have a fair shot. He has managed to worked against himself.

Oh, btw, in certain parts of finance (that is, not the securitization part), employment is almost back to early 2007 levels. So the jobs are there - but not for entry level guys who pretend that they are senior. No one wants that.

#21     Oct 26, 2010
  2. thenmmm

thenmmm

Anyways...i don't want to sound as I am "braggin" or something, and quite frankly I don't have the time now - but since so far i got only 2 invitations to inteviews (out of 80 applications...) - one from Citibank and one from some institution that claims to be the oldest Swiss bank - this whole situation could mean only 2 things:

1. The job market is pathetic and only the big buys are still breathing.
    2. I am not skilled enough.

I believe you are smart enough to lean towards option no. 1 - which is the answer (especially considering my very low salary expectations)...both options aren't mutually exclusive of course, but hey :). And please don't tell me that sharpe ratio can't belong to econometrics - it's too funny to hint about such thing and...as i said - don't have the time nor the desire to argue with some strangers on the internet, better gotta focus on something useful :).And... The kelly criterion is something most experts disagree on with people defending it eagerly (Thorp, Ziemba, Willmott) and others against it - (Samuelson, Lee, etc.). And yeah...

Anyways...thanks to Mr. Cohodas for the advices again :).
    And finally...I won't write again in the topic since it seems that all necesarry things are already mentioned...as they say: Patience is a virtue - i'll keep looking.

#22     Oct 27, 2010
  3. thenmmm

thenmmm

well given that already i got only 2 replies - one from citibank and one from the oldest swiss bank (or so they claim) - which option do you think is correct??:

a ) - the job market currently is pathetic and only the biggest guys are still breathing.
    b) - i am not skilled enough.

P.S.
    It's funny to even hint that sharpe ratio cannot be refered to econometrics (what do yuo think econometrics even mean...if you analyze the very english word, then you'll get it). And the kelly criterion is something most experts disagree upon (e.g. some people like Thorp, Ziemba and P.Wilmott defend it eagerly while others like Samuelson, Lee etc don't like it).

Anyway, i have better things to do now rather than trying to prove something to myself (and others) and enter in useless arguing with some random internet stranger).

And - 10x for the other replies here again...especially Mr. Cohodas

I believe everything necessary in this topic is already mentiond...so - au revoir :p.

#23     Oct 27, 2010
  4. sjfan

sjfan

Um.... I think the obvious answer isn't the one you think.

I think your utter arrogance and ignorance confirms the signal in your cover letter exactly.

As far as what is econometrics, please crack open Hayashi's classic text, "Econometrics" (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tripbooks&field-keywords=econometrics&x=0&y=0) and tell me where exactly does it concern itself with sharpe ratio.

Good day indeed.

#24     Oct 27, 2010
  5. You must consider one other possibility. Your marketing may be inadequate. Your are trying to get someone to "buy" your services. You may not be getting as many responses as you deserve because they are not getting your audiences attention.

I strongly recommend that you have your resume and cover letter looked at by a professional so that it "effectively" conveys why you would be an asset, what you can do for them and what will bring you to the top of the heap.

I'm no passing judgement on your capabilities. I have hired a lot of people in my career and the ones that got my attention "talked to me" in there cover letter as if they knew just what I needed.

A small investment in polishing your marketing material is likely to pay huge dividends.

#25     Oct 27, 2010
  6. sjfan

sjfan

(in reply to what our favorite grad sent, via PM, below) Sorry dude - clearly you know what you are doing. I do apologize for trying to help by giving (perhaps overly abrasive) criticism. Good luck. Though surely this won't be the last time we talk - trading is a small world.

#26     Oct 27, 2010