Is the American Dream is over?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bearice, Apr 11, 2011.

Is the American Dream is over?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. Handle123

Handle123

I agree with much of what you are saying, but today's youth has to get up and go. Any new business takes tons of hours and years of dedication, do you see our youth to have this desire?

I believe that jobs in our society has changed huge from manufacturing to service. In the sixties, most families had one person outside the home working, provided enough for maintaining, savings and vacations. Most credit cards weren't even heard. Life was stable, but getting a loan was a bear. In the 70's, women joined workforce in huge way to get ahead, but somehow, I believe it was the start of falling behind. Credit started to get easier middle in that decade, but inflation picked up big time. I believe when Pres. Reagan took office, Prime was 21.5 %. As Prime went down, greatest of all bull markets started, so did new businesses, much easier credit to start new businesses. When old man Walton died, manufacturing went out the window and our society has radically changed since to a service country.

I believe if you have the gift of gab, you can do incredible in the business world, but if you are looking to do a business on having to make something, China will do it cheaper. Have to learn to sell it.

#51     Apr 12, 2011
  2. Other poster:

My opinion ? The American dream was a scam all along ! The dream of owning your home .... all build on ...mortgage debt ... how many people in the US can realy say ... I own my house ... no debt ! ... (my best guess , less than 15 % ) Getting a college degree ....LOL ... Have a look at the rest of the world ... most of the 14 year-olds in Europe or elsewhere have a far bigger knowledge than our youngster who graduate from Highschool !!
    College degree's from the US have no value out-side the US ( the few exceptions come from colleges filled with students from around the world )

Military Power .... the US never had any .... after the win off the WOII ... there is not 1 conflict that the US has won ... Hell after 10 years we're still fighting "farmers" in Afghanistan,civilians in Iraq....a handfull of terrorists in Yemen. I'm sorry ...but if you have an honest look at the rest of the world ...you will see that the USA is not so great ...and never was ! From day 1 ...the USA NEVER kept a promis , never delivered on freedom , never delivered on anything !!A dream .... that's all it was ... people are waking up?

#52     Apr 12, 2011
  3. zdreg

zdreg

the american dream was not a scam to millions of immigrants who escaped persecution and poverty. they succeeded very well in making better lives for themselves and children.

#53     Apr 12, 2011
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

i maintain, you offer zip in intelligent commentary on this site. and so does he.

the two of you are so fixated with the united states, and calling all the issues (of which there are certainly many) to light. but the truth of the matter is that the two of you are just another example of non-americans who spew hate at, and are obsessed with, the united states and ignore the various issues with their own imperfect country.

#54     Apr 12, 2011
  5. jfranco

jfranco

its a dominicans dream now haha

#55     Apr 12, 2011
  6. zdreg

zdreg

"the american dream was not a scam to millions of immigrants who escaped persecution and poverty. they succeeded very well in making better lives for themselves and children." - zdreg

is this one of your examples of hate that you attribute to me or is it simply a function of your inability to read properly?

#56     Apr 12, 2011
  7. How is that at all relevant? It's restricted to a very small group of players.

#57     Apr 12, 2011
  8. Yeah, that would be a hoot if it were not true.

We all know what the "American Dream" used to be. Now, however, it's "immigrants [illegal and otherwise] getting into America by whatever means possible, then sucking tit at the expense of the American taxpayer". THAT dream is more vibrant than ever.

:mad: :mad:

#58     Apr 12, 2011
  9. Huh? Totally and completely false. It's only restricted by your ability to generate ideas and add value. Access to those with the money is unprecedented today for everyone and anyone.

To be sure, it's more difficult for those who insist on going the traditional bank route--- however, that paradigm is past-- don't think macro, think micro for yourself- and listen to Altucher--he explains it far more eloquently than myself....

best,
    surf

#59     Apr 12, 2011
  10. Great points, EMR. I just want to clarify that when I said it was easier than in the past, I did not mean it is easy and does not require hard work. I got connected with the right people ( including VN ) via my writing on elite and other places. Then I was able to forge personal friendships and build networks that are mutally beneficial--- I know you get this..

best,

surf

#60     Apr 12, 2011