Is technical analysis less applicable to today's stock markets?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Lloyd W. Coutee, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Technical analysis is not applicable to today's stock market because of the advance in algorithmic trading. Before, human used technical analysis. Now, traders are competing against computers that many signals other than technical analysis, making the latter essentially useless.

marketsurfer likes this.
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You do realize many traders today have computerized their TA use with other things. :D

Also, do you realize algorithmic trading are primarily competing against each other.

In addition, do you realize most traders were not profitable before algorithmic trading and most traders still are not profitable after algorithmic trading.

With that said, this is what I don't understand. If algorithmic trading is so great...how come retail traders that have gotten involved with algorithmic trading are still struggling ?

I would love to see a thread about the above question by those retail traders involved in algo trading.

It doesn't matter what type of trading you're doing...FA, TA, Algo or whatever...most are still losing while some are profitable. That's the way the markets work.

P.S. Your post history shows you're struggling with TA, FA and news...seems like from an investment point of view in stocks. Maybe its time for you to stop and then determine if investing (or trading) is suitable for you.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  3. Double Top 1946, and Double Top 2015. Looks like the old stuff still works!! DT1946.JPG DT2015.JPG

4. It works just fine for me. In fact, most of the work that taught me to read the markets was written in the 1930's and before....and I use it today with great accuracy.

I can relate to someone questioning whether or not T/A, as it is popularly taught, actually works because I was the same way until I encountered a few good characters who introduced me to the real deal.

Lloyd W. Coutee and learner2007 like this.
  5. mind sharing?

6. Not publicly.

Mazzaz likes this.
  7. Exactly, same here! Today they run around searching for the Holy Grail in their indicators etc.
    when the old school stuff IS the H.G!!

Money Trust likes this.
  8. qxr1011

qxr1011

everything works fine

===Before, human used technical analysis. Now, traders are competing against computers that many signals other than technical analysis, making the latter essentially useless====

there is an old Russian proverb:

a bad dancer is impeded even by his own balls

beginner66 likes this.
  9. kut2k2

kut2k2

Two problems with your reasoning here.

A) Most automatic programs are HFT. If you trade well away from that frequency, there is no competition.

B) A program is no smarter than its programmer. If your algorithm (aka trading plan) is better than their algorithm, you'll win regardless of their speed.

Trade Smarter, Not Harder

Lloyd W. Coutee and dartmus like this.
  10. Total HOGWASH!

You appear to be influenced by people who don't know "come here" from "sick 'em". Suggest you look for helpful guidance elsewhere.

#10     Nov 16, 2015
    Money Trust likes this.