Is talent required to be a top chess player?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nitro, Nov 25, 2008.

1. nitro

nitro

I agree strongly. It is mostly concetration, pattern recognition and memory where traders and chess players talent intersect, imo.

#51     Jul 9, 2009
  2. Susan Polgar is I think one of the most fascinating grandmaster. I wonder if brain hacking could be applied to trading. Of course 99% of people here are way too late try it because it needs a young mind.

"There is an area at the front of the brain which deals with face recognition, allowing most people to remember a face in 100 milliseconds. Astonishingly, this is the very place where the experts find that Susan has moulded her recognition of 100,000 chess scenarios. Over years of childhood practice, Susan has hardwired these countless scenarios into her long-term memory and can recognise one in an instant – as quickly as someone might recognise the face of a friend or relative."

#52     Jul 9, 2009
  3. nitro

nitro

I find that fascinating as well.

Pneumonics of this sort are really interesting. I wonder if her father helped her [discover] with that (he is a professional psychologist), as there is no way she could have come up with that on her own.

Finally, I think it is dangerous. Judit is as far as I can tell a completely normal person, as far as you can be "normal" and be a top ten in the world chess grandmaster. But not everyone may come away so lucky from such extreme training. This gives a new meaning to "giving your self completely to your art."

#53     Jul 9, 2009
  4. nitro

nitro

I have come to the conclusion that there are two types of human beings in this world, those that understand through language, and those that understand by osmosis.

I have also come to the conclusion that we call genius are those people that understand through osmosis. They never quite understand how they do what they do verbally.

Most of us go to school, and we have stuff explained to us. That is done mostly through instruction through language. Everyonce in a while, someone seems to get things even without being shown. Capablanca was supposed to have learned to play chess at the age of four by watching his father play and was never "verbally" instructed. Gauss was said to have corrected his fathers accounting at the same age never been taught arithmetic. Both of them scaled the greatest heights of their art.

People see this as genius, but I wonder if it is no different than a duck being born knowing how to swim. I also wonder if our instruction is verbal not because it is superior, but because it caters to people that aren't "born knowing how to swim". Perhaps language even developed this way, as a way to explain what came to a genius and pass it down to someone (99% of us) without the natural gift. Evolution would have rewarded species whose genius members are able to instruct. The world isn't algorithmic, it is simply taught that way because that is the way to get most of us on the same wavelength. It is intersting how far I have come since this post

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=918084&highlight=Godel+mind#post918084

Recently, I have been solving problems simply by waking up. This cannot be verbal, or can it? All I know is, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, my mind simply jumps to a solution about something I wasn't even "conciously thinking" (vebally? does that equal conciously?) about at that moment. Something that was complex all of a sudden seems completely obvious and one wonders why I didn't understand it all along. It is really surprising when it happens, and very bizzarre.

Is genius really super efficient searching in an algorithmic sense??

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3399093&highlight=p=np#post3399093

I doubt it.

#54     Mar 16, 2013
  5. heypa

heypa

Way to go.
    Worry a problem to death and then sleep on it.
    Works for many people.
    On the topic of the thread I think the required ability for success in any activity is set by the quality of the competition.
    Success results when talent and effort meet.

#55     Mar 16, 2013
  6. nitro

nitro

7. piezoe

piezoe

Or tap dancing!

#57     Apr 11, 2013
  8. <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zcV3CFri0LA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

makes me realise how great teachers/coaches are very very very unique.:)
    And I'd guess the 10,000hrs deliberate practices comes into play somewhere.

#58     Apr 12, 2013