Is talent required to be a top chess player?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nitro, Nov 25, 2008.

#41     Dec 18, 2008
  2. Mr J

Mr J

What better background? All moves and outcomes can be calculated in chess, while financial markets have an infinite number of variables and outcomes. Trading deals with the psychology of losing money, of being financially ruined. I'm sure chess can be a great influence in some ways, but surely it lacks some major trading necessities. Poker and other forms of gambling would be a far better background in my opinion.

#42     Dec 18, 2008
  3. henry76

henry76

he may or maynot make a good trader ,he hasn't become one , so I would suggest that he doesn't want to be one

#43     Dec 18, 2008
  4. nitro

nitro

5. #45     Feb 13, 2009
  6. nitro

nitro

"...As for Mr Weinstein, he plans to set up his own hedge fund, and is now soliciting cash from potential investors. Deutsche Bank may no longer be willing or able to gamble; the 35-year-old chess whiz believes there will always be plenty of people who are."

#46     Feb 13, 2009
  7. gnome

gnome

One can become reasonably good at something or even several things.. with dedication and practice... but to be "really good" or "great"... takes talent.... you must have "the knack for it"...

The great ones make their success look "easy" while others are amazed.

#47     Feb 13, 2009
  8. Your kind of people make great cannonfodder for brokers. This is not pointed at you personally, I am sure you are great traders, but for the majority of people: only fools keep doing something with the same bad results.

#48     Feb 13, 2009
  9. dealmaker

dealmaker

Chess does have some important reavances to trading e.g. strategic planning, looking at the big picture ( looking at the whole of the board) etc.. This does not guarantee that a good chess player will be a good trader but, if you are good at both chess kknowledge will help you e.g. Boaz Weinstein ( celebrated Deutsche Bank credit trader).

#49     Feb 13, 2009
  10. nitro

nitro

#50     Jul 9, 2009