Is talent required to be a top chess player?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nitro, Nov 25, 2008.

1. it is not about working until 75. it is about ending up poor @75 while they could have done something else that could have earned them $$.

#31     Dec 3, 2008
  2. Most people will not be able to trade for the following reasons:

1) Not enough capital: I am sure there may be a few that can start with a $ 5,000 account and make $ millions, but most will just blow it out.

2) Fake education: There are real schools for doctors and lawyers and real medical and law books. Most schools, trade rooms, and books are fake. These people don't trade, they sell snake oil.

3) Psychological problems: You can see it in some of these journals. Holding onto a losing position hoping it will come back. Revenge trading to try to make back what you lost.

4) Optimized trading programs that can trade the past year but not the future.

5) Money management: You need to really understand what you are going to lose if the trade goes against you and how much of your account will it take down.

6) Finally, not having a real strategy that works to extract money from the market.

Now if you are able to overcome the above, you then have a chance to become a profitable trader. If you are profitable, make sure to take money out of your account to pay for bills, and treat it like a business which is what it is.

#32     Dec 3, 2008
  3. I understand the situation but it's ludicrous.
    ------------------------------------
    December 14, 2008
    Posted: 1:49 am
    December 14, 2008

IT'S not at the Plaxico Burress level, but one of the world's top grandmasters could be banned from big-league chess.

It's due to a drug-testing scandal that began in the final minutes of the Olympiad tournament two weeks ago when Vasily Ivanchuk of Ukraine lost in a match that cost his team the bronze medals.

Ivanchuk stormed out of the playing hall, kicking a concrete pillar and banging his fists on a food-service counter along the way, according to witnesses.

But what got him into trouble was refusing to take a mandatory drug test. World chess federation (FIDE) president Kirsan Ilyumzhinov said Ivanchuk, 39, could be banned from events for two years.

Fellow GMs rushed to Ivanchuk's defense. "I don't think FIDE can find one person who thinks he refused the test because he feared being caught doping," said his team captain, Vladimir Tukmakov.

GM Alexey Shirov virtually called for a grandmaster boycott of FIDE. He said drug tests should be ignored because they were intended to satisfy the International Olympics Committee and get chess into the Winter Games, which will never happen.

#33     Dec 17, 2008
  4. Tester

Tester

If there is a drug that will help someone to play chess I would like to know what it is.

Do they need to build up muscle to lift those heavy game pieces?

#34     Dec 17, 2008
  5. Me and the old man used to buy a couple cases of Bud and play chess, the first one to hit the floor was the loser. Those were some good times. :cool:

#35     Dec 17, 2008
  6. eagle

eagle

My answer is yes. An outstanding player can't be emulated. Paul Morphy is the unique God of chess.

#36     Dec 17, 2008
  7. I think I posted this before, but there has to be some reason people like Kasparov do not gravitate to trading. Particularly for those who believe patterns have merit. What better background to tackle a strategy based environment than being a chess GM? And even more enticing, what better challenge to prove your superior intellect than trading?

#37     Dec 17, 2008
  8. henry76

henry76

maybe becuase kasparov knows it took most of his childhood and life to achieve what he did , and he knows he only has one life .

#38     Dec 17, 2008
  9. If that was the case, why on earth would he then run for politics? Your logic breaks down there.

#39     Dec 17, 2008
  10. henry76

henry76

none of it's logic , more just life , my own view is that one would only want to spend the years nescessary to reach the top in a rather dry and isolating profession such as chess or trading only once in ones life, politics is very different .No logic , perhaps not very convincing to you , but is how i would feel if i were him .

#40     Dec 18, 2008