Is StrategyRunner only one ATS platform-server serverside?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by SmoothTraderFX, Oct 31, 2005.

1. I have opened a demo account of StrategyRunner Pro and taken a look at it.
    The frontend software is in a word, immature. I would grade it C-.

I basically plan to do ATS on broker server side, and access remotely from my local PC. Is StrategyRunnerPro only software to make this possible? If there's any good alternatives with a decent FCM, I would be very happy to move there.

Thank you for any input.

Regards.

2. Hi,

many brokers allow you to place your ATS at their location (and provide you with remote access). TT, Genesis, etc. We have customers running ATS built with QuantDeveloper this way. But in this case you are responsible for ATS development and support. SR develops and runs systems for you as far as I understand.

Regards,
    Anton

www.smartquant.com

3. Hi Anton,

>many brokers allow you to place your ATS at their location (and provide you with remote access). TT, Genesis, etc. We have customers running ATS built with QuantDeveloper this way. But in this case you are responsible for ATS development and support. SR develops and runs systems for you as far as I understand.

Thanks for reply.
    I also have downloaded QuantDeveloper, and actually rated as Recommended at ET software review.
    I am a C# programmer, and can code on QuantDeveloper. I understand it has an execustion interface/gateway to IBTWS, TTAPI/FIX, Genesis, but it's a connection from my local PC to the internet server. I mean, the automation is closed in the Broker site, and I only have to access there remotely occationaly to check or modify the status. If you mean this, could you explain more detail on which broker can set up the ATS server with QD, and how much is the initial cost and maintenance or the fee top on the execution commision fee.
    Can you give me the list of the brokers you affliated so far?
    PS. I would not pay $1250/month to just use TT X-API for brdge of QD and TT-network.

StrategyRunnerPro is basically, $1.5/RT top on the normal commission. The initial cost is free. I guess SD costs more than $1000 for the purchase of the software, and may be higher than $1.5/RT for execution or maintanance.
    I would say, QD is far sophisiticated and flexible than SR, so if your fee structure is more competitive than SR, and it's prepaired on server side of decent FCMs, you can take over their customer, I'm sure.

4. PS.
    According to your site,
    >SmartQuant’s QuantDeveloper framework will connect to TT’s exchange gateways via TT’s FIX Adapter.

I understand XtraderPro with X-API costs 1250USD/month. Obviously, using QD, I would not use X-frontend software(I know QD also has an interface to X-API for XtraderPro). If a broker use TTnetwork and pass my order to TTFIX, do they still charge 1250USD, or since I'm not a user of Xtrader frontend, no charge or some lower fee for TTFIX?

Thanks.

5. TT is actually an ISV, not a broker. VelocityFutures http://www.velocityfutures.com/, who provide brokerage
    services using TT software and gateways, have different commission schedules. You can pay $1250/mo for TT XTrader Pro subscription and pay low RT commissions or get "free" XTrader and pay hight enough commissions.

Actually we should discuss TT FIX Adapter scenario with TT or VF since traders don't really need _any_ TT software on the client side to (auto)trade via FIX (QD uses QuickFIX engine on the client side).

Regards,
    Anton

www.smartquant.com

6. >I understand it has an execustion interface/gateway to IBTWS, TTAPI/FIX, Genesis, but it's a connection from my local PC to the internet server. I mean, the automation is closed in the Broker site, and I only have to access there remotely occationaly to check or modify the status.

Indeed you always connect from a "local" PC to a "server", but the point is where the server is located - in the same room where your box is (sitting on the same cable) or thousands miles away

http://www.tradingtechnologies.com/ttnet.asp

Regards,
    Anton

www.smartquant.com

7. Anton,

Thanks.
    Yes, I understand TT stuff, actually, I have registered to TT X-API developer community, and read SDK or others.
    I have seen TT NET, but have not noticed it can be used for ATS satelite. You said many brokers allow to place ..... their location, so I thought it should be the FCM facility issue. Certainly, TT NET can do the job, but the problem is the cost. I need to research.
    I used to have VF account, and have used Xtrader. I thought the frontend is ok. Actually, I liked RefcoPro much better.
    >Actually we should discuss TT FIX Adapter scenario with TT or VF since traders don't really need _any_ TT software on the client side to (auto)trade via FIX (QD uses QuickFIX engine on the client side).

Yes, please do and update the info. In fact, I'm sort of tired of the ripped off rate of TT always. There are other ISV with FIX such as EasyScreen or others.

Remember StrategyRunnerPro does OK job for this server side issue. I don't know how they do, but at least, the ATS can run on the server side without letting the clent think TTNET etc.

8. jearnest

jearnest Velocity Futures

We are currently planning a December 1st release of a Fix 4.2 compliant gateway into the CME, CBOT, EUREX, EUREXUS, ICE, and LIFFE.

We have chosen the TT FIX Adapter because of speed and functionality to all the exchanges.

If you are interested please open and fund an account. To check it out risk free goto http://www.velocityfutures.com under trading platforms and download development instructions and the current release of the manual.

As for pricing, there will no monthly recurring charges for access to the Velocity FIX adapter. All charges will be our current commission schedule on our website based on volume traded through the adapter. In other words, it will be FREE.

Also, we will co-locate your servers for a fee or free if you do the volume.

9. Jack,

Thanks for input.
    Can I ask more detail to make sure?
    Velocity FIX adapter4.2= TT FIX adapter ?
    If I develop TTFIX connected application using QuantDeveloper, since I don't use Xtrader, no software fee is charged?

Server Co-location at FCM site is absoultely great deal for ATS individuals. I don't know how much volume you need, but can you give me a brief quote of the price in case of not sufficient volume. You can PM me, too.

Thanks.

10. jearnest

jearnest Velocity Futures

Yes, that is correct, there is no fee except for any fees you would pay for the quant developer suite, if that is what you are using...

Jay

#10     Nov 2, 2005