Is "Smart" order routing a sucker's play (for either fees or execution?)

Discussion in 'Options' started by d0rian, Nov 13, 2019.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

:D:D:D
    Thank you, Noobs.
    Cracks me up..... :D

I think everyone should *start* with a single screen, on which sits a BookTrader (price ladder) on half the page, and for the other half, a 4hr/1min market graph of Japanese candlesticks, with an ATR with Go/No-Go levels and a Lane's Stochastic to give little hints. (Excuse me. :rolleyes: Little indications.)

The purest of pure Trading.

#11     Nov 13, 2019
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  2. taowave

taowave

Because I am a weiner and was trying to trade spreads for less than 1.50 per contract :)

#12     Nov 13, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. d0rian

d0rian

That's why I'm posting here...trying to learn something I never bothered to look into before. I'm hardly "blaming" IB or an Exchange; the fees are what they and disclosed in full. (Moreover, as another poster stated, an absolute commission figure doesn't really tell you anything without knowing how it relates to my returns; but yes, it's a high # in the absolute which is why I'm trying to bring it down.)

Hm, so TD TOS doesn't pass along any exchange fees to you? (That alone would have cut my commissions by nearly 40%...) Is there a liquidity-provider rebate as well?

Yes! I've noticed this for ages too, and I assumed -- as the IB rep seems to have confirmed to you -- that it was liquidity-providers scavenging for rebates...they see a 10 x $0.19 Bid coming in when spread is $0.17 : $0.20 and figure that someone wants an execution, so they wait til you pull it so they can post up at the price they know you're willing to pay.

I once came up with a strategy I theorized might foil this but never got around to trying it out:
    1. Submit a hidden Buy order for 10 x $0.19.
    2. Submit a visible 10 x $0.19 buy, which won't get hit by the rebate scavenger
    3. Pull the visible order > scavenger posts a 10 x $0.19 Offer, which hits your hidden 10 x Buy
    Not sure who would be considered the liquidity provider (and get rebate) in this example...does it depend on whether the Hidden order type is natively supported by the exchange (rather than simulated by IB)? If the latter, then it won't help since IB's essentially just auto-submitting the simulated "Hidden" Buy when the Offer hits a specific price...but if it's sitting as a natively-supported Hidden order type at the exchange, who would get the rebate? Technically you're the one providing the liquidity as you were sitting at that price first, right?

#13     Nov 13, 2019
  4. FSU

FSU

Yes, TD is "all in" with their .65 rate (accept for 1-2 cents reg fee). This will end up being far cheaper than IB if you are trading products like SPX or VIX which can have exchange fees up to .65 a contract, or if you are taking liquidity on an exchange that charges for that. They also allow direct routing of spreads to several specific exchanges (IB does as well, but it is more difficult to set up). The downside is they wont pass along rebates for adding liquidity.

The problem with your hidden order example is the order is generally kept at the platform level, so when it "sees" the .19 offer it will take it and you will pay for liquidity. What I have found is if you direct the order to an exchange that doesn't charge a liquidity fee you are more likely to be filled.

#14     Nov 14, 2019
  5. elt894

elt894

Keep in mind that IB charges $1 per contract for direct routing options vs $0.65 for smart routed at the lowest volume tier. For me the higher commission usually offsets any improvement I can get by direct routing, but depending on what you're trading it could be different.

#15     Nov 14, 2019
  6. taowave

taowave

What I also found odd (and annoying) is I would also cancel my bid to see if the seller would come down,and if he didnt,I would resubmit my bid at the same price and suddenly get filled but at a 1.50 per contract..I believed I was supplying liquidity,but got charged as if I was not

#16     Nov 14, 2019
  7. d0rian

d0rian

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at with my natively-supported vs simulated comment...if it's just kept on IB's side and auto-sent when Offer hits the limit price, then it's no different than doing it manually...but don't most US exchanges support native "hidden" order types that sit at the exchange rather than IB-side? And if so, who do they consider the liquidity provider for rebate purposes when one of the hidden orders is hit?

#17     Nov 14, 2019
  8. qlai

qlai

US Equities exchanges do, but not Options exchanges (as far as I know). The hidden equity orders are getting rebate for providing liquidity but rebate is smaller than for the displayed order.

#18     Nov 14, 2019
  9. taowave

taowave

That was my issue as I am predominantly a SPY trader,and most of the time a spread trader..
    I did notice that on some equities,I was charged alot less,even when lifting offers..What really pissed me off was buying .03 SPY options to close and getting hit with 1.25 all in..

IMHO,dicking around and bidding/offering to cut costs is a lose lose game...
    You know sooner or later you will completely whiff and wind up chasing the market and paying the offer when things move against you.Just to save a penny or so..

At TOS,I can lift offers and hit bids,place market offers and wind up ahead in commish and not chase markets because I tried to provide liquidity and save on commisions.

Trading is hard enough as is,no need to add another level of complexity for zero return

#19     Nov 14, 2019
  10. FSU

FSU

Even if an options exchanges did support hidden orders (which I don't believe they do) it wouldn't help you as there are so many exchanges. So if you had an hidden offer on one exchange and a bid appeared on any of the other 15? exchanges, you would not only pay that exchanges exchange fee, but also a routing fee to that exchange.

#20     Nov 14, 2019