is scalping spy weekly option possible?

Discussion in 'Options' started by trend2009, Aug 2, 2019.

1. is scalping spy weekly option possible? anyone does this?

2. Yes it's possible. What is your real question?

3. qlai

qlai

Define scalping

4. MKTrader

MKTrader

Possible but very unlikely probable. This site needs to change its name. There are almost daily threads where people look for a super simple edge/system that might of halfway worked in the early 80s or something (when hardly anyone had computers and programming/backtesting was a nightmare).

To answer the OP question: no one but your broker will make money if you try such a thing.

Philo Judeaus likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

I disagree. The site does not need to change it's name. What needs to change is the intelligence of the average human, especially in this day and age, to the upside. This way they can realize that the power to make decisions is not based on the name of a website or the content therein, but the power and content they have within themselves.

What needs to change is this whole, "If I do not understand something, it is your fault" syndrome, which leads to the "I got second place but I still deserve the first-place gold medal, because I tried" syndrome.

It has bled into the most sacred of places on the internet, before this social media BS took over the consciousness of the world...BBS, and IRC. Now they are infected with it. IRC is most likely a bloody mess, and BBS like this one are just heading south, unless we maintain control on the mammy mammy stuff.

@trend2009, this has nothing to do with you. This is just between MKTrader and I. It is a conversation that can go elsewhere, but I had to respond. Teehee :) Carry on. Sorry about that.

Philo Judeaus likes this.
  6. qlai

qlai

Why? If one is a profitable day trader, why can't it translate into being profitatable intra-day options trading? Not arguing, just trying to understand.

7. Fonz

Fonz

I think the only way of being profitable with weekly options and to avoid huge risks is:
    - Directional only
    - Buy on low volatility
    - Buy before a large move happens
    - Nothing systematic (not every Wednesday or similar)
    - If profitable, I sell before the last 2 days
    Day trading is different and scalping is different.
    Because of all the the odds against an Option trader, this is the only way I use weekly options (SPX). I want to use leverage at max with a small bet, when I think I could be right about the timing and the direction.

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

It makes more sense to do this with cash-settled indexes so you do not have to worry about expiration day. You also get better tax treatment.

cafeole, trend2009 and Ryan81 like this.
  9. Robert you mean the SPX?

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes.

#10     Aug 3, 2019