is romney the most dishonest politician ever?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Like the recent economic news items?

#11     Oct 9, 2012
  2. those lies are all documented. i guess you didnt bother to look. i understand why because if you had you would actually have to think about what you believe.
    i guess the guy that wrote the article had people like you pegged pretty good:
    "That’s the only cognitive defense they have, I guess. Jam fingers in ears and shout la-la-la-you’re-being-partisan!"

#12     Oct 9, 2012
  3. CO has shifted to right. Fine, we will beat him accordingly. He is a liberal at the core, and trying on new clothes. CO, don't do this. You are headed for the Hurt Locker.

#13     Oct 9, 2012
  4. he aint too bright. is is disapointed because obama has not been able to make much progress on issues he likes so he has decided to become an apologist for the side standing in the way of that very progress. go figure.

#14     Oct 9, 2012
  5. Oh, he's bright. All libs have to go thru their conservative phase, until it gets locked in that conservatism is for a particular group of people who cannot keep up with change, so they fight it. They may as well be fighting the seasons.

#15     Oct 9, 2012
  6. Epic

Epic

I just went through a good part of the lie list. It isn't hard to convince me that any politician lies or distorts the truth frequently, but that list is stretching Free Thinker.

The vast majority of the "lies" are opinion and cannot be demonstrated adequately by fact. Other "lies" are in fact mostly true and the lie is actually coming from the author of the article. Very much like Mitt supposedly lying that his tax cut could be revenue neutral when a Princeton economist claims it will cause a tax increase on the middle class. Turns out that very economist is mad that the Obama team is essentially claiming the exact opposite of what he really concluded on his study.

After just a quick glance, there were probably a dozen or so outright untruths on that list. Probably a few dozen examples of manipulating the truth or omitting important details. The rest are mostly debatable opinion and different perspective. A huge portion of the list are frequent repeats of the same controversial opinion. A good example of this is the claim that Obama apologized for America. According to the author that is a lie, but this falls well within the opinion realm. It depends on what you consider an apology.

Obama:

“In America, there’s a failure to appreciate Europe’s leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.”

“While the United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to dictate our terms.”

To many people, the above statements are apologies and they have a very arguable case to make there. This is especially true when delivered to a foreign crowd. The above statements were made in Spain and France. When you make a statement like that to Americans it can be passed off as self reflection, but to a foreign crowd it is easily considered an apology.

Anyway, the author would count every instance of Romney claiming that Obama apologized for America as a lie, which adds to the 533. When it comes down to it, if you eliminate multiple occurrences and recognize opinion for what it is, there are probably a few dozen full or partial untruths. This is not at all outside the normal standard for politicians during a campaign.

#16     Oct 9, 2012
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Maybe he'll just put you on ignore to stay out of the hurt locker. Like you did. :D

#17     Oct 9, 2012
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Any politician will say anything to get elected.
    It's just that Mitt is especially "good" at it.

#18     Oct 9, 2012
  9. You guys have forgotten a couple of key political rules. First, you don't answer the question you were asked. You answer the question you wish you were asked. Secondly, and most important of all political rules is the George Costanza rule of truth telling. It's not a lie if you believe it yourself. How else do you think these pricks sleep at night?

#19     Oct 9, 2012