Is Roger Clemens lying his ass off?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Feb 13, 2008.

Is Roger Clemens lying his ass off?

1. Yes, he's clearly lying

33 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. No, he's being honest.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. I'm not sure whether he's lying or not.

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. I'm not following Clemens' testemony, so I don't know.

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Steroids/Cheating in Baseball? I couldn't give two shits about this entire non-issue.

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. ElCubano

ElCubano

everything we put into our system that is not organically grown is a health risk..including every over the counter and prescription drug you have ever taken. the issue is "Cheating" and them trying to back them into a "lying to congress charge"...cuz like they said ...no court or jury from here to cali would ever allow 7 year old siringes into evidence

#31     Feb 14, 2008
  2. nitro

nitro

Of course, you are unequivocally correct.

This is even more obvious than Global Warming, and yet there are people that take both sides of the stance as evidenced in this thread.

Teaches you a great deal about human psychology.

nitro

#32     Feb 14, 2008
  3. Had Clemens looked like this, then I could see the possibility of steroids use.

[​IMG]

#33     Feb 14, 2008
  4. I'm unable to see the traps, but from this view they don't look protruding, therefore he must be clean.:p

[​IMG]

#34     Feb 14, 2008
  5. Not very encouraging, is it?

#35     Feb 14, 2008
  6. Everybody who ever played pro sports knows that steroids are widely used in EVERY sport where tendons and muscles get injured. There is no athlete who was injured and tried steroid who didn't used them again when injured. Recovery is about 70% faster then without them. There is no meaningful difference between prescription or medical steroids and those "illegal " steroids .

#36     Feb 14, 2008
  7. I won't pretend to fully grasp what you are talking about, and I admit that I'm only a weekend warrior. However, as a result of having worked out for most of my adult life, I have bad shoulders, notably the right one. (I attribute this at least in part to poor exercise form in my earlier years.) In any event, I had two cortisone shots in my right shoulder, one in 1992 or 1993, and the other last ~summer. Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory steroid that can aid in injury recovery. It is not, however, an anabolic steroid to my knowledge. Further, I will not ever have such a shot again because, although I did it as a last resort, I was advised it's not a good thing. Among other things, as with all steroids, I believe, it weakens your immune system. That alone opens up a rusty can of worms.

#37     Feb 14, 2008
  8. Bootsie

Bootsie

Yes, the alarm went off with me when I heard that too...

I agree with what Reardon is trying to say... Roger should NOT lie his ass off to Congress; society needs some kind of public forum to entrust both truth and honesty as the last stop along the line.

For the record, I am of the opinion that Roger did take steroids... but not for the same reasons most of the posters on these boards (and in public) believe.

I pitched professionally for 9 years. And I can tell you that towards the end of each season, it became a real grind, both physically and mentally. In as sense, Roger and I have suffered some of the same aliments along the way so I know what is required to perform at the top of ones game, esp. in Aug. and Sept. as the season finishes up.

{According to McNamee, Roger didn’t start taking HGH until his time with the Blue Jays. I can tell you that Roger was absolutely dominating right up to his last game with the Sox. I sat in the front row behind home plate in Detroit and watched him strike out 20 Tigers in Sept. of ’96. He was still throwing a ‘heavy’ 97mph in the 9th inning and had an untouchable split-finger fastball. I know this because I was charting next to advance scouts who were recording his velocities.}

He never needed steroids to “make himself better” as most people believe. I’m of the opinion that he probably took them in order to (at the time) heel his hamstring (a nagging injury he suffered for years); maybe prevent or repair other injuries that were not reported; or even give him a push into the final stages of the season i.e. the playoffs. We were tested for everything all year long – randomly – which allows me to believe this to be the case. Also, I saw many people take them for the same reasons listed above.

Being bulked up and muscular greatly restricts ones ability to pitch effectively over the long term. Being a good pitcher is not about looking good at the beach. Two different ‘ballgames.’ However, being injured and NOT pitching doesn’t do anything for anyone’s career. You’re only as good as your last game. Roger knows this, and is frantically trying to restore some kind of respect to his name.

It’s unfortunate but I would hate to see this end up like the mess Marion Jones was in….
    I hope not – not for Roger – but for the game.

#38     Feb 14, 2008
  9. "When all this happened, the former president of the United States found me in a deer blind in south Texas and expressed his concerns that this was unbelievable, and stay strong and hold your head up high,"

translation: because no matter what happens, you will be pardoned..

#39     Feb 14, 2008
  10. I think that "hell" you speak of will engulf us all. Maybe we all deserve it. Because, even when you present hard evidence, you get ignored.

#40     Feb 14, 2008