Is religion a sign of mental weakness?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Code7, Mar 12, 2010.

1. And that's what I say, but the assertion was "How dare you reject the faith when you cannot prove that it doesn't exist". When someone says things like that, it borders on religious fundamentalism and its not just a matter of personal faith.

#31     Mar 13, 2010
  2. "How dare you reject the faith when you cannot prove that it doesn't exist".

Oh, I understand your indignation...

...however, if atheists were not also practicing their own brand of faith, I doubt you would encounter such reactions...

...the theists see though the smokescreen and lies of the atheists who protest they have no personal faith or beliefs, these same atheists who speak as if it were some fact in evidence that there was big bang, that men came from apes, that the world is just a random chance happening, that life itself is just an accident of random chemical interactions...all these ideas are just ideas, not facts. It appears to a reasonable person...that many of the atheist are former theists who have just traded one faith for another faith...and they claim a superior position by essentially claiming that their faith is the one and only right faith to have.

If you really have a live and let live attitude, and if you really don't judge because you don't like being judged, then there won't likely be any real issues to get in such a snit about...

#32     Mar 13, 2010
  3. Wallet

Wallet

Please explain to me how the baby's rights are protected when someone aborts it.

The left wants to make this some sort of "it's my decision" issue about woman's rights when the constitutional rights (life) of her baby are ignored.

It doesn't matter what you think Stu, abortion is murder.

#33     Mar 13, 2010
  4. Ricter

Ricter

We really should have a dedicated, abortion discussion thread sometime.

#34     Mar 13, 2010
  5. Wallet

Wallet

It's a real simple discussion, either you think the unborn baby is a human and deserving of a basic right to life, or you don't. By ignoring the baby the discussion pertains to the woman only, which is the current context of debate by the left.

If you want to debate, start with when does human life begin.

#35     Mar 13, 2010
  6. stu

stu

It doesn't matter what you think Stu,

....is not a very sensible remark to make when you've just asked me to explain what I think. Is that the level of your debate?

The basic principle is that it certainly does matter what the mother thinks. It matters what she feels and what she knows. That matters a lot more than what you think.
    And it does matter what her rights are, or may be, in regard to her fetus and her condition.

I don’t like abortion any more than you. It’s a highly contentious and controversial issue and I wish it wasn’t there. But your comments toward it are simplistic and arrogant and politicizing it just dumb.
    It will take a lot more understanding than that to consider properly one of the most difficult of human circumstances, which whether you like it or not, has always been a reality.

#36     Mar 13, 2010
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Let's don't...and just say we did.

#37     Mar 13, 2010
  8. Wallet

Wallet

I apologize If I came off a brash....... and I do not want to ignore the Woman in the issue. Her feelings and well being are important, that being said, abortion is not the quick answer it is purported as being, there are dramatic mental scars that take place in the majority of most post-abortive women.

My beef with the current debate is that it does not take into account the baby and it's rights. The baby is completely ignored in the equation unless it's in the last trimester, and then there's still late abortion practices going on.

If you include the baby - giving it equal rights, then you draw a stalemate. Yes I agree it's a difficult subject, but both sides, the Mother and Child need to be addressed before proceeding.

#38     Mar 13, 2010
  9. The major problem in the abortion debate is the right wing and their lack of concern for life, period.

They will focus on a fetus, and go apeshit at the thought of a woman making a choice not to give birth...

...but if we talk about forcing the corporations to clean up the air, water, food, or anything else that kills people...no dice.

Does the right wing give a shit if children don't get proper nutrition and health care?

Nope.

Does the right wing give a shit about allowing insurance companies to avoid giving care because it costs too much?

Nope.

This is the major issue with the progressives. They see duplicity from the right wing. The right wingers don't apply a consistency of concern for human life across the board.

They go apeshit about abortion...essentially denying a woman the right to decide what to do with her own body, pregnant or not.

I think we could really end the abortion debate if the right wing would man up and guarantee that:

1. Every child born in America (hell, we can even say of citizens...no anchor babies) will be provided with everything they need to have a healthy, productive and meaningful life.

2. End the barbarism of capital punishment. If life is ultimately sacred and every human is redeemable through Christ, never, ever kill someone.

3. Pay for any and all medical procedures for all people to stay alive, no matter what the cost. Taxes will be increased if necessary to provide this medical care to all Americans.

Think that will happen? Think the right wing will get aboard that agenda?

The truth is the right wingers doesn't give a shit about what happens to children once they are born, and don't give a shit about the quality of life of anyone but themselves...

#39     Mar 13, 2010
  10. Wallet

Wallet

There you go again trying to stir the coals, lol

The right wing ,more right wing left wing stereotype bullshit, the people I know that are conservatives don't think that way. Society is full of issues, abortion right or wrong doesn't change the others.

#40     Mar 13, 2010