Is religion a sign of mental weakness?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Code7, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Why is there a need for proof of one's faith to another person query into that of one's personal faith?

#11     Mar 12, 2010
  2. --------------------------------------------------------------------

God is Bolivarian in Venezuela, and the capitalist in USA.
    ??

"CARACAS, Venezuela, March 12 (UPI) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has put himself at the mercy of God and nature to bring timely rainfall to replenish the country's depleted water reservoirs and defuse a worsening crisis over electricity and water shortages."
    http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special...-him-out-with-timely-rain/UPI-45411268408818/

#12     Mar 12, 2010
  3. Sure, you can have any personal faith you want but its different to say that since you do not have proof that things we claim do not exist, you can't deny its existence.

The burden of proof is always on those who make the claim and not on those who are questioning the claim.

#13     Mar 12, 2010
  4. People should be free to deny the faith of someone else all they like...

As long as they don't infringe on the right of someone else to practice their own personal faith...

The burden of proof of those who claim man came from apes, or a big bang, etc. has never been met...

That situation should not, and obviously does not prevent people from personal faith in men from apes, or some belief in a big bang...

However, since they are both just personal faith, neither should be taught in public schools as anything other than personal faith...

Freedom of religion protects the atheists as much as the theists...

#14     Mar 12, 2010
  5. Yes people are free and have the right to believe anything they want but that was not the point. If I claim that vampires and werewolves exist, the burden of proof is on me, not on someone who questions my claims.

#15     Mar 12, 2010
  6. If you claim something, why do I need to have your claimed proved to me?

It is a personal faith of yours, that's fine.

No one that I have read recently denies their faith in God is a personal faith...

No theist that I have read recently denies actual indisputable facts in evidence...

Anyone who makes a claim saying that their reality is the correct reality for anyone else has a burden of proof, but personal faith?

Has someone water-boarded you demanding that you agree with their personal faith?

I don't understand what riles people like you up so much when people pronounce their personal faith...

So what if they say your own faith is wrong? Why would you care?

My issue has never been with the personal faith of atheists, they should be given the same opportunity to deny God as theists have the opportunity to accept God...

The issue for me is the prickly nature of the atheists who demand something from theists in the form of "acceptable proof" when they themselves have personal faith and beliefs which they refuse to accept are equally without proof...

#16     Mar 12, 2010
  7. Okay, so what are you claiming?

Btw: Why is it hermit's arguments always remind me of empty pie tins clanging in the wind and attached to scarecrows?

#17     Mar 12, 2010
  8. Belief in God permeates every major culture ever uncovered,and evidence of this goes back thousands of years. Yet not a single animal (regardless of how intelligent) ever left evidence of obvious religious belief.

Hardly equivalent to a single person making a claim of vampires.

But if someone claims God does not exist, does the burden of proof fall on the person making the claim?

#18     Mar 12, 2010
  9. Absolutely + 1.

The point that the believers in the Flying Spaghetti Monster conveniently fail to grasp is this. They are welcome to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster as long as they don't try to make public legislation based on those beliefs.

Time and time again, however, we see the religious right pushing their faith-based agenda onto everyone, asking as to live by a set of rules which is informed by their belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Denying a young woman's right to control her own destiny by controlling her body is Spaghetti God's way. Women who like to sleep with other women are sinners because Spaghetti God says they are, and if two women who have been together for years and are more stable than 80% of straight couples married in Spaghetti God's house want to adopt a child, they can't because... well, because the Flying Spaghetti Monster said they can't. The examples go on and on.

Religious zealots like certain members on these boards should keep their religion behind closed doors. We live in a society that is secular in its public face.

#19     Mar 13, 2010

10. do us all a favor ... grow the fuck up

this fucking dude is the epitome of everything I despise ...

#20     Mar 13, 2010