Is rate cut a given next week?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Jan 24, 2008.

1. You said it. Actually, given the non stop news of financial meltdowns I think a good portion of world financial markets are run by a bunch of retards dressed in 8 piece suits. Sure makes you think twice about whos holding your money for you.

#11     Jan 25, 2008
  2. At least 25bp will be cut; Look like a 50bp is in their hand; 75bp is very remote or very less likely.

#12     Jan 25, 2008
  3. No rate cut and the bears will get the crash they've been looking for. And Bernanke is just goofy enough to do it.

.25 bp is more likely. That fits with the Bernanke Fed's confused, timid, I-wanna-please-everyone style.

#13     Jan 25, 2008
  4. Wouldn't put it past them to do a .25, see how the market responds, and then if it is a mega-down day, do another .25 right there and then.

Oops, sorry. We meant to say 50bps.

Kinda like "Sell 50? I thought you said, "That's nifty..""

#14     Jan 25, 2008
  5. Aok

Aok

Another .5 is implied and outside chance at .75.

I hope not. But Wall St heavyweight bankers will throw a tantrum if they dont get inflated out of their problems.

#15     Jan 25, 2008
  6. Manni

Manni

Bernanke needs to borrow some balls from the ECB president and say no more cuts.

Theres not much left in the tank now and if he cuts by 50 basis points, as is being expected by the futures market then it'll probabably be the last cut he can make.

#16     Jan 25, 2008
  7. I think the Fed will do 25, because the market still craves and expects something. 50 would be too much after they got suckered by Soc Gen, and I bet they realise the mistake they made. 75 no chance, and no cut would force the pampered baby market to start crying until they come to the rescue again.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the USD rallied with "only" a 25 cut...

My opinion is of course that they shouldn't cut, but I try to avoid mixing what I think they should do with trying to predict what I think is their likely action.

However, not placing any bets...

#17     Jan 25, 2008
  8. The real problem is laid in China's currency revaluation; I think this time Wall street's loaded gun back fired. :D

Now; Canada's Dodge came out saying China shouldn't revalued its currency today; who will step out on 31st at end of his term as governor of Bank Canada. What a nut head.

Fed's rate can be lowered as low as to 0.75%. Still a long way to go; and average American will believe anything its government feeds them.

#18     Jan 25, 2008
  9. Everybody and their brother is saying that but with the S&P500 off 20% the Russell 2k off 25% how in the hell is the Fed supposedly jumping only because of weekend selling by SocGen?

That doesn't add up in my opinion.

#19     Jan 25, 2008
  10. 7 billions of loss, not asset. I wonder if anyone has any idea the amount of assets they were controlling?

#20     Jan 25, 2008