Is raising taxes on those making 250k going to hurt the economy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by NeoRio1, Nov 5, 2008.

Is raising taxes on those making 250k going to hurt or help the economy?

1. Hurt

67 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. Help

30 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. I always wondered why this happened as well until I had to live in an area where this was very prevalent. You would think with the hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants in the US that are here to do the jobs Americans won't do we would have almost no one on the welfare.

The problem is welfare provides a better lifestyle (for the amount of effort expended) than working when your only marketable skill is being a laborer or low end jobs in retail. When it comes down to it, it is a business decision. I have no skills, little to no education, what should I do. Sit on my ass and collect welfare or work my ass off as a laborer for a paycheck that is not much different than welfare checks (probably less if I have a few kids to feed).

Until the welfare lifestyle is significantly lower than the lower tier jobs in the market place this practice will continue.

#31     Nov 7, 2008
  2. This is a caricature created to scaremonger anybody who thinks they have something to lose and far from 99% of reality.

#32     Nov 7, 2008
  3. Bartakus,
    Lot of those people's jobs were transfered to overseas thanks to stupid trade agreements . Now we have a cheap crap made in China and also large and growing underclass with no job prospects . Well done !

#33     Nov 7, 2008
  4. If the middle class is fucked, were all fucked. Which of the present situations are you referring to?

#34     Nov 7, 2008
  5. No offence people but all this complainin and speculation is Futile! The people have spoken!! Obama is the next president of the USA! The guy hasnt even started and your hatin him for what you think hes gonna do?? HA!! Why not give youself a big pat on the back for lettin good ol Lamo Bush run the country for 8 years while your at it. Fat lot of good he did the country!
    Fair enough, Obama's policies may in the end, not turn out to be the best , but you gonna try and tell me 'the economy is strong' Mcain and 'Go buy me a new dress while I shoot a Moose' Palin had a better idea?

#35     Nov 7, 2008
  6. Then why are so many immigrants (legal and illegal) in the US (still coming by the way) to take the jobs Americans won't do.

The jobs are there, they just aren't the jobs Americans want.

#36     Nov 7, 2008