Is Peak Oil a Fallacy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by unretired, Jan 7, 2010.

Is Peak Oil a fallacy?

1. Yes. Plain and simple

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No.

35 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. Yes for many middle-eastern deposits but not the whole world.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Get real, it’s all about manipulating the market and making more money.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Just Big Lazy Money; effing the little guy. There are 500+ years of untapped Peak Oil resources let

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. All ... or 3+ out of 5 above.

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. There is not enough information to say.

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. Hell-if-I-know

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. HenriT

HenriT

#62     Jan 10, 2010
  2. This is probably the best presentation I have seen oil reserves and future projections. It is given by Stanford's Roland Horne, professor of petroleum engineering and Thomas Davies Barrow Professor in the School of Earth Sciences.

It's about an hour long, but if you are really interested in the topic - it's well worth it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTsYjRqPmNA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTsYjRqPmNA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#63     Jan 10, 2010
  3. Peak Oil is another lie sponsored by the same types who promote Global Warming.

#64     Jan 10, 2010
  4. So you're saying that the world will never run out of commercially viable oil and the price will never go above say, $100.00 bbl... forever?

Gee, I hope you're right.

#65     Jan 10, 2010
  5. This is my position as well.

Those who own the candlestick on one end are
    seeking to conquer the candlestick of the other end of the "energy candlestick."

There are more profits and power by doing this. This is what happens with big money.

However the materials supporting the theory of "peak oil" have merit to the degree that given enough time and people the theories are a logistical fact.

My contention is that these big players of oil, power and money have never yet shown benevolent, selfless intention, nor materials that "don't make them look good" nor materials "that do not support their agenda."

While the facts dictate that the theory of peak oil is an eventual a reality,
    I believe those facts are strategically twisted and that we are 150+ years away from what is being considered imminent now.
    I believe it is also planned and that the plan is not based on serving the peoples of the planet but one of increasing money and power.

This is a 100% backtested fact regarding those in these power and oil positions.

Therefore I have to be objective that the fruit of all prior motive and action shows current motive and action and future motive and action. There is no evidence contrary regardless of how they want to appear to offer "an inconvenient truth."

The issue for me isn't that however ... but that they set the trend regardless. How do I see it and adjust wisely to the swings of these "Big Fish" behaviors and increase in accumulation, liquidity and speculative investments and trading?

#66     Jan 10, 2010
  6. Please explain to us simpletons how you arrived at the 150 yrs left of oil number.

Also, please explain what phenomena best describes the fact that the USA was the world's leading exporter of oil, but now is the worlds leading importer of oil. And why US oil production has diminished over time.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, did you or jficquette even bother watching the video I posted? Please address (specifically) where the speaker is wrong.

#67     Jan 10, 2010
  7. Peak oil already is a fact. You can observe that the vast majority of oil producing countries has a declining production. Peak oil refers to the production rate, not the oil still available in the ground. Extraction of non-conventional reserves is limited by extraction cost and environmental impact - not by size of reserves.

Global warming is sponsored by irresponsible behavior of US government and citizens. Main problem is that growing methane and carbon dioxide emissions can not be absorbed by the oceans which act as a buffer solution for these gases.

#68     Jan 10, 2010
  8. Illum

Illum

Fascinating, thx a bunch

#69     Jan 10, 2010
  9. You're welcome.

And to those that think this is merely a scaremongering video - it's not. This presenter is a petroleum engineer and covers many topics related to oil. If you are not familiar with different types of oil recovery technologies, this presentation is a good intro into that topic.

#70     Jan 10, 2010