Is pattern-recognition ability decreased with age?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trend2009, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Yea, pretty much... These patterns like this that get taught to retail traders are what I refer to as crapshoots...

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/technical/112601.asp#axzz1rZPBRab5

The ES right now is getting quite slow in it's rise... My technicals are telling me the odds of farther rise are now too low to trade long at this point. But shorting is not a good idea in fully confirmed uptrends no matter how slow they get.

Some may call this trading patterns. I just call it "buying dips in uptrends and sitting it out" when the trend slows down. Works for me... LoL! By my rules I can't short today because were sitting in the middle of a gap. Seen too many last hour instant gap fills in bull markets...

#31     Apr 9, 2012
  2. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about divergence definitely wouldn't be shorting anything today. I was hoping for a quick lows retest to get in for a big long trade today but it never happened...

This should help that last poster understand what types of "patterns" are actually useful.

Multi timeframe divergence confirmation is good stuff. :D Now if we could only retest the lows again in the next couple days maybe we could get a REAL uptrend rolling...

#32     Apr 9, 2012
  3. Maybe I shouldn't be so paranoid of gaps. Those short signals on that downtrend would have paid off... Plus in the bigger picture we were in the sell zone. Meh, whatever... More handles and better trade setups another day.

No trading in the last hour is an old but good rule.

#33     Apr 9, 2012
  4. luisHK

luisHK

Amazing that your daughter at age 3 could focus several hours on a single task, and that she could achieve such a task. If true it's really far from standard.

#34     Apr 9, 2012
  5. heypa

heypa

I never claimed patterns were bs. Perhaps everything is a pattern in someones eyes.

#35     Apr 9, 2012
  6. Yes but make them use their own money.

#36     Apr 9, 2012
  7. I shudder when I think about the median IQ on ET!

#37     Apr 9, 2012
  8. Yep, from what I have seen it hovers somewhere between 60 and 80...

#38     Apr 9, 2012
  9. ammo

ammo

http://www.karenhurd.com/pages/healthtopics/specifichealthconcerns/ht-shc-adhdandadd.html here is a layman's explanation of the chemicals our brain produces to complete the thought processes..im a layman so take this with a grain of salt..in circa 1999 i saw a program on pbs,researched and havent been able to find and re watch but there was an ADD 8th grader,47th in a class of 50,a Dr. worked with this kid for the year and he finished 3rd in his class, the method she used,read the previous link, was based on over loading the synapses daily for a short time period(guessing 5-10 minutes per morning)by having the kid place his nose on a board,blocking the ability to see his left hand with his right eye and vice versa,the logic was that the left brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa,on either side of the board was a piece of paper with dots, the exercise was to simultaneously connect the dots with a pen in each hand,forcing the left and right halves of the brain to send messages back and forth at an accelerated pace,forcing the body to produce more of the chemicals to complete the task,the aging process,particularly, alzhiemers and dementia ,is the brains waning ability to produce these chemicals, in theory, this should work on the brain the same as a 5 pound barbell doing curls would change the muscle in that arm..the apparatus and use of it would be easy enough to make if one wanted to experiment with the theory... .food for thought..pertaning to the op's original premise..i think the market has a rythym and the longer one's at it,even though it is always changing,one gets better and better at recognizing it,thru osmossis,even though most could not put it into words,or a program

#39     Apr 10, 2012
  10. You guys should take a class in chaos theory. It's very interesting stuff. We have discovered that there is no such thing as "random chaos." Things that we think of as chaos... Crowd movement, traffic patterns on highways, and etc...

All things we use to think were chaotic and random actually organize themselves into somewhat predictable patterns based upon the math of chaos. Everything is cycles and patterns... Trees grow in fractal patterns. Water flows in patterns that obey the rules of chaos theory. Predictability drops off the farther into the future you go because of the butterfly effect.

If you have ever been surfing and have a good instinct you can just sense and feel when the good waves are coming by your ability to recognize the pattern. Some people are in sync with cycles and some people are not. It's kind of funny... When I was surfing in Hawaii the Hawaiians complimented me on my ability to feel the water and recognize when the big waves were coming farther ahead than most other people.

Go surfing sometime. If you can't get a feel for the waves after a couple years you probably won't be able to get a feel for the stock market.

I can just take a glance at the ES and I instantly know what the trend is, the odds of the market making moves to different levels, possible retracement buy levels, and etc. But, if I glance at a forex chart I cannot make heads or tails of it. To understand forex I would have to watch it for a long time.

#40     Apr 10, 2012