Is pattern-recognition ability decreased with age?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trend2009, Apr 7, 2012.

1. heypa

heypa

My IQ hasn't changed since high school and I'm now 86 and counting.What has changed is my ability to learn new things. Perhaps because I don't perceive that I will be able to use the new ability for very long since the end is inevitable and approaching.
    Trading ( I mean swing ) doesn't require a high I Q. Nimbleness is not required in using a few rules and picture (chart) reminders.
    I'm not as quick as I once was and know I have lost abilities not measured by I.Q. So maybe I improved in some areas and deteriorated in others.As long as you can walk and talk and make sense to others who cares.Forget the numbers and press on.

#21     Apr 9, 2012
  2. heypa

heypa

What are patterns and why the apparent obsession with them. Don't tell me or ask "What the hell are you doing on a day trading forum?". The answer. I'm curious. Curiosity keeps me going.

#22     Apr 9, 2012
  3. Could explain, but then would have to kill you. :D :D

#23     Apr 9, 2012
  4. Patterns are not very useful. Don't bother to think about them. Divergences on the other hand are quite useful...

#24     Apr 9, 2012
  5. Divergences are not patterns?

#25     Apr 9, 2012
  6. heypa

heypa

Scat It must be great being the only one with worthwhile knowledge. You must be the only one since the world seems to have such a large population.
    It's a joke I admire your accomplishments though your handle doesn't seem to fit.

#26     Apr 9, 2012
  7. They are not in my book. They are just a slowdown in a uptrend as price is testing resistance, or a slowdown in a downtrend as price is testing support.

I am pretty sure this thread was about recognition of non-technical indicator patterns, just standard price patterns, and key reversal candles, etc... Not RSI divergences on high/low retests, etc...

#27     Apr 9, 2012
  8. Never claimed to be "the only one".

Just wanted to know... "if patterns are BS, then what isn't?"

#28     Apr 9, 2012
  9. Trend, support, and resistance are the most important. Patterns are unreliable. The only pattern I pay attention to is "divergence" and I don't even call it a pattern. Just a slowdown in a trend...

#29     Apr 9, 2012
  10. How do you know you have a divergence unless you have a pattern?

Sounds like your definition of "pattern" is too narrow... so we're not debating TA, just semantics.

#30     Apr 9, 2012