Is pattern-recognition ability decreased with age?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trend2009, Apr 7, 2012.

1. :)

#11     Apr 8, 2012
  2. Yes. I have an old pentium 4 box. It finds patterns much more slowly than the new i7.

#12     Apr 8, 2012
  3. dom993

dom993

I'd suggest a read of this really great book: "The brain that changes itself" by Norman Doidge.

Even though the brain decays with aging, there is now solid evidence & techniques to slow this process, and keep one's brain well above the average.

#13     Apr 8, 2012
  4. RobertG

RobertG

I think that this is such a subjective question.
    To be honest, with age, I have noticed that I my risk tolerance has gone down a little(??), and I have become more selective in my choices. but, this is not because I am less sharp.

I try to select those patterns that have shown much better odds than others while my positions sizing has changed as well.

RG

#14     Apr 8, 2012
  5. look into this

www.lumosity.com

It helps. Brain is like any other muscle, it improves/deteriorates with use/lack of. Age does negatively influence but neuroplasticity and experience do counterbalance.

#15     Apr 8, 2012
  6. there are two hemisphere to the brain, the left can be said to be logic/math and the
    right spatial/visual

different iq tests test different hemispheres. many people - males in particular have
    a bias to one side or the other, females in general have better balanced hemispheres

the most often used spatial iq test is the 'Raven Advanced Progressive Matrices' and
    while one might score high in a 'left brain' test, one might score higher or lower in the
    Raven test
    it's been found over several decades that overall, children's spatial/visual test results
    have been rising, a small but measurable amount. not surprising given how much
    information today is being distributed visually - tv, computers monitors, cameras both
    still and moving images both standalone and built into cell phones, movies and 'ani-
    mations' via cinema, computer and tv, use of individual screens in school etc etc

often those who don't believe technical analysis works are likely to be left brainers

'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' by Dr Betty Edwards was first published in 1979
    and became an instant bestseller. people who thought they couldn't draw discovered
    with Edwards' book they could draw, so the inference is that for many people their right
    brain had never received any 'visual training'. http://www.drawright.com/

my drawing skills were gifted to me by both parents, and I'm a right brainer tho not left
    handed, so my pattern recognition skills might, be greater than some others
    I Know my skills have Not deteriorated as I've aged as I've made various discoveries
    during the last couple of years related to trading based on 'looking at price charts and
    watching' the price time waves movement and noting various patterns and etc

#16     Apr 8, 2012
  7. great post. thanks. my daughter watched lots of youtube animations when she was 1 years old. maybe that helps her visual ability.

#17     Apr 9, 2012
  8. Handle123

Handle123

I think normal age, under 70, has to do with interest than anything else. Someone just starting out in trade, 1-3 years, is far more interested in patterns than someone like me of 34 years experience. The older the Goat, the more we pass on most patterns till be see what we remember the ones that work the best for us. The photo memory I had long ago has whithered away cause of information overload and meds, lucky if I can remember where I left my keys.

I doubt I could pass almost any IQ test now, but now I have no interest in that at all. Going to an Ivy league school might get you in the door, but if you can't trade, you be leaving. Comes down to producing. More interest you have, better chance of succeeding.

#18     Apr 9, 2012
  9. Should not be. Traders should be clued into about a dozen important patterns... can't keep track of that many?

#19     Apr 9, 2012
  10. LoL... Recognizing patterns is not necessary for successful trading. IMO spotting patterns is not a very good way to trade either. Trendline breaks, wedge breakout/breakdowns, head and shoulders... Etc... Not a very high odds way to trade.

It does work though if you follow the rules of trading each pattern perfectly. It's never going to get you that 75%+ win rate though...

#20     Apr 9, 2012