Is owning a home mostly a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Aug 20, 2010.

Is owning a home a bad investment for most?

1. Yes.

40 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. No.

66 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. I don't know.

11 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I don't care.

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Owning your home is not an investment. It is a living expense and a necessity, an asset with useful and necessary attributes that also happens to have some financial aspects. You have a requirement for shelter, and probably a requirement for a certain amount of space, certain level of decor, and locational factors like low crime, nice amenities, ok neighbours etc, or seclusion, nice countryside, decent weather and so on.

This is not about real estate investing, being a landlord, making money etc. It's about having to pay for a roof over your head, and chosing a location to live, and whether it is better to do that by purchasing a home or renting it.

There are far more considerations than merely the financial angle. If it was all about finances then you would simply buy a trailer or a log cabin in the middle of nowhere for peanuts, and invest the surplus cash in the markets.

#51     Aug 21, 2010
  2. Hahaha....the exact same thing happened to me. I had an old lady living downstairs and she LOVED to use that broom handle to bang on the ceiling. She must have had superman hearing because any little sound and she was banging that broom. I still remember one time I was watching TV at a very very quiet level. It was so quiet I could barely understand what the people were saying on tv (I kept it quiet because it was 2am) Well the old woman with superman hearing thought the sound was too loud for her and started banging her broom which at 2am scared the shit out of me because her broom banging was so loud. After a while I learned to start jumping up and down on the floor so she could know what real noise was. When I started doing that, I didnt hear the broom banging so much as she knew i was goingto make so much more noise if she harrased me.

#52     Aug 21, 2010
  3. Bolts

Bolts

Because you can save 1k without borrowing and without paying the interest. Unless you blow your 1k on cheap consumer products, then you might need to "trick" yourself into having the self-control to save the 1k instead. The value isn't "materializing", LOL. For most people, its the hard-earned money they make at their job.

#53     Aug 21, 2010
  4. kashking

kashking

I keep hearing the argument not to buy because of all the extra costs. Costs like property taxes, interest and maintenance.

The truth is when you rent you don't get out of these! The costs are simply passed to you by your landlord who is a business owner. A landlord will charge you all their costs+ the profit they want to make.

For example, your AC breaks. Your Landlord will need to buy the parts to fix it. Then a salaried employee of a property management company comes out to fix the unit. So the property management company has to pay someone and pay for parts. You think they eat that? no way. It's factored into your rent. Renters think " hey, I get free repairs". They aren't free.

My dad used to rent an apartment. He got a note from the landlord regretting to inform him that the rent was going up due to an increase in property taxes. Those taxes were being passed along to him all along.

This idea (which I see a lot) that renters are getting free stuff while their landlord is the sucker paying all the bills is false!

#54     Aug 21, 2010
  5. So you think that paying down the landlord's mortgage with rent money you'll never see a dime of again is a better idea?

#55     Aug 21, 2010
  6. Now we see how so many traders can have the same system and get totally different results. There is a big difference between a primary residence and investment property. I clearly stated that a primary residence is not an asset nor should it be viewed as such. I wouldn't even consider a primary residence when calculating net worth...especially in the USA. When we have these types of broad reaching, all encompassing debates we are speaking purely from the law of averages. Hell I owned rental property in South Carolina while I was renting a condo in Georgia. The average family moves every 7 yrs, the average family will never own a home free and clear, and the average person doesn't realize that he is just average. Nothing is as common as the desire to be remarkable. Bubbles will exist until the ratio of wolves to sheep gets out of proportion. That is the real reason that Congress started their home ownership initiatives for the poor and the minorities.

#56     Aug 21, 2010
  7. No you cant save 1k without borrowing. You still need $1k to pay your rent. How can you save that if you have to pay it to your landlord every month...meanwhile the homeowner who has a $1k payment its broken down like this (assuming you have a pretty new mortgage) $250 for principal, $500 for interest, $250 for taxes/insurance.

So to break it down...the renter loses $1000 every month that he will never see again. The homeowner loses $750 every month that he will never see again. (and of course over time, that interest payment will be less and less) In 15 years, perhaps the homeowner is only paying $300 per month in interest and getting $450 per month paying towards the principal. Meanwhile the renter has had 15 yearly rent increases and is likely paying $2k per month now. Homeowner is really only losing $550 per month that he will never see again, while the renter is losing $2,000 per month that he will never see again. Homeowner now can save $1,450 per month 15 years later to invest, or pay down the house. Renter can only invest what he can save AFTER he pays $2,000 in rent.

#57     Aug 21, 2010
  8. what are you talking about, of course it's an investment, or are you "emotionally attached" to your house and give it names?

shelter is a basic need, but what does that have to do with anything. You could easily rent a place. By buying you are making an investment.

Tell me this, if you know a house will drop 20% over the next 5 years, but you really like it, will you still buy? If the answer is no then congrats you are treating it as an investment, if the answer is yes then i guess you are just stupid or got money to burn.

#58     Aug 21, 2010
  9. But 1k in the bank won't get you a roof over your head. Let's say in 30 years you save up 300k. Someone else got a house and a mortgage in year 1, and over 30 years spent 300k to pay it all off. At year 30 they own a house free and clear by paying off the debt. At year 30 you own a couple of items of furniture and a one-way ticket to palookaville, while your landlord has laughed all the way to the bank.

#59     Aug 21, 2010
  10. An investment is something that you acquire purely to turn X amount of dollars into >X. It has no lifestyle value or use value apart from its financial return.

Ownership of your residence has considerable use value, as I explained, for example being able to do it up how you want, make alterations, decorate, know you won't get evicted by a landlord, being able to keep who you want on the property (e.g. pets, sharers etc). So it is not an investment in the same way that a stock, bond, gold etc are investments.

A house is a mixture of necessity (shelter), luxury (customising and enjoying your residence to your desires), and investment. Thinking of it purely in investment terms is naive.

If I knew a house was going to fall 20% in value, but I would get sufficient benefit from ownership over those years to justify that loss, then yes of course I would buy it. Just like I would buy a new car that will fall 30% in the first year. There is nothing "stupid" about spending money to improve your quality of life, only an idiot or a broke loser would think that.

Having to answer to a landlord, put up with his shitty taste in furniture and decorations, and to have the risk of having to move in a hurry, is undesirable to me and to most people who aren't financially hard up. Many people are willing to pay a premium to avoid those downsides, and to have more freedom and control over their homes.

#60     Aug 21, 2010