Is open interest or volume more important consideration in futures trading?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by helpme_please, Jul 20, 2017.

1. I mainly invest in stocks. There is no such thing as open interest in stocks. Open interest is a new concept to me.

In futures trading, do the elite traders here place more emphasis on open interest or volume? If open interest is more important, is volume a distraction which can be ignored?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. algofy

algofy

i watch volume and ignore OI.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. May I ask why do you think volume is more important than OpenInterest when interpreting futures price charts?

4. I only trade small quantities and on very liquid products, so I don't care about open interest. I do pay attention to the daily volumes by the time I need to roll from a soon-to-expire contract to a next one. The timing of the rollover is (partly) influenced by daily trade volume.

tommcginnis and murray t turtle like this.
  5. algofy

algofy

because my holding timeframe is seconds to mins generally

tommcginnis and helpme_please like this.
  6. [ Partial QUOTE="helpme_please, post: 4489433, member: 482598"]I mainly invest in stocks. There is no such thing as open interest in stocks. Open interest is a new concept to me.

In futures trading, do the elite traders here place more emphasis on volume? ..... is volume a distraction which can be ignored?[/QUOTE]
    %%
    YES, on volume; +no dont ignore volume. For example if you got no volume on a liquid contract -you would know most likely, we just got bad data, LOL.

Saved the best till last; price is way >> more important than volume,or open interest + use price + volume both.

Like the CME website notes, taxes too, effect price trends; but i dont have time to go into all the little details. A liquid contract is the context of my remarks, Help Me Please. Good question; answer is in context of a liquid contract; big volume stocks +ETFs maybe more liquid....:caution::cool:

helpme_please likes this.
  7. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Open Interest is important (for me) in how it informs on volume.

shatteredx likes this.
  8. Overnight

Overnight

A truer answer to this question may require an expansion on what your plans are for trading futures. I reckon OI and volume have their places among any number of trading strategies. One may not be mutually-exclusive to the other.

Expound upon your ideas and you might find clearer guidelines from the folks here.

9. I watch OI in commodity hedging markets but not in financials markets.

10. Sprout

Sprout

What relationship do you see between OI and Volume?

#10     Jul 21, 2017