is now the best time to go short?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bluematrix, May 10, 2013.

1. shorting this market and calling a top are different things. i don't think anyone can call a top, it's just too random.

what I'm saying, is, there comes good times to short a market, even in a strong rally. my question was is todays level a good time to short? i.e. the next x points are to the upside or downside?

#21     May 10, 2013
  2. This sounds exactly like the rationale people have when they try to catch falling knives on crashing stocks. But what happens when there is no bounce or pullback, or when it does happen, you are so far out of the money, you need a 20% pull back just to get back to break even? There are plenty of threads on ET with people using the same rational who started shorting the market back at 1500 S&P. Now they need their 8-10% pull back just to cover their losses.

#22     May 10, 2013
  3. Agreed, you can enter a good short without it actually being the proverbial top. I tend to think that at some point in the next 3-5 years, we will look back at these levels and just laugh, so that is why I agree that a longer term short is a good idea. However I have given up trying to understand this market and wouldn't' be surprised if it has a lot more room to run. Just look at the what the japanese markets have done since they started easing?

#23     May 10, 2013
  4. Syntax error. "Seems" does not exist in the database of Trading Vocabulary.....

Strike 1

Evidently you do not trade based on tested rules, setups, exits or risk management parameterz.

Strike 2

Long small caps, Ben Bernanke is taking the other side.

You are a very valuable contributor to this site because you share the prevailing opinion of suckerz worldwide. Cavemen know that you will try to out-think the situation and justify your feelings with intellectual gibberish. Then ask opinions of strangers, hoping to remove the discomfort you feel.

Strike 3

Feelings are for kids and moms, not price harnessing insects that have empirically calibrated sensors which tell them what to do at all times.....

#24     May 10, 2013

5. from my experience on this site, if you post a thread like i have you're bound to get a response like this.. where the response focuses on little words, breaks sentences down and trys to make me look like an idiot.

I'm not talking about set-ups, I think we all have our own ways of trading be it technical or not.

I'm trying to see what the general sentiment is on ET as a international board and enjoy knowing/learning of other peoples perspective, such the guy above who is riding all the technical indicators that suggest he should be long, which is useful, but i had my own questions.

btw, saying ben takes the other side is really rubbish, let's face it they are not buying stocks. they are pushing risk takers into stocks but i don't remember they outright buying stocks. so to say they take the other side is just rubbish isn't it?

and who talked about representations of cavemen and mother emotions? it seems you get gratification wording yourself like you're the know it all and everyone else is a caveman if they don't follow your set-ups and grand plans.

now answer the question are u long or short at this level?

#25     May 10, 2013
  6. Short long term, long short term.

Sell near term puts and buy long term.

Use the near term gains to invest on the long term.

#26     May 10, 2013
  7. i don't think you have an once of common sense either and i am more bearish. you don't seem to have an idea of how things work. the bond market is the bubble the fed made so if you live off interest you are in a lot of trouble. the only game is the stock market because its moving up so that bond person is buying stocks for the div and hoping for a little cream with it. than of top of that companies are borrowing because interest is so low and doing stock buy backs. than you also have margin issues going on with hedge funds because the interest rate is so low its worth the risk. how is it rubbish?

#27     May 10, 2013
  8. what on earth u on about?

I was reffering to Wide Tailz, that suggested Ben is taking the other side of every ES trade as all cavemen go long on it.

what i said is, i don't remember Ben saying they are buying stocks outright. yes they have forced risk takers into stocks (for that extra yield), but not buying stocks outright. hence to say Ben is taking the other side is utter bull shit isn't it? am i wrong? as the other side is just another risk taker, be it a Wide Tailz, a caveman, a bond manager who now is after equity divs and so on. but not the Fed - as far as i know they are buying treasuries and abs. is that clear? so basically the other side is just another party with limited means who doesn't have unlimited liquidity as Tailz suggested. i.e. buy everything and don't worry about the other side at all.

#28     May 10, 2013
  9. again by buying 85 billion per month and having 0% interest rate he is taking the other side. what do you think he is doing when adding a few trillion on his balance sheet and making bank savers 0 money? if you need a more real example he bought aig for scrap metal and juiced up the market than sold it for a big profit. he bought all the bad debts in the market that is taking the other side.

#29     May 10, 2013

10. again I'm not talking P/Es, I'm talking rate of growth and possible pull backs in spx given that we've alerady had a 20% since november. It's crazy that if you look at the consistant buy of the dips, correlation to other asset classes, volatility and everything in full picture, then it's one of the rarest market environments. young or old, know economics in 98 to .com was actually in decent shape. if u look at macros, commoditys, everything u can think of relative to speed of equities, it's not such a 'normal' as u like to think of it. i'm no value investor looking at P/Es or etf inflows (who in my view are always late anyhow) but i'm talking ES and a possible pull-back. are we going up 50 points next week or down? that's the question.

#30     May 10, 2013