Is news necessary to trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by OPC, Feb 24, 2003.

1. OPC

OPC

Dear brethren:

Do you think that reading news is an integral part of successful trading? Have you ever experimented with a pure technical approach, i.e., no news at all?

OPC

2. for pair trading, not knowing the news fast enough was a real detriment...till I spend some big $$ for premium news from different sources.

I've been thinking of getting a Bloomberg terminal...any experience out there on Bloomberg news?

3. A trader told me he never let the news influence his trading... until the day he shorted Walmart.. the same day KMart filed Chapter 11... he said it was "painfull"...:D

4. Let's put it this way: it isn't so much the news per se that's important...it's the market's reaction to news. The market's reaction to news gives you trend confirmation.

OldTrader

5. no

6. huey & the news??

7. OPC

OPC

That's the way I had been using it, until my news source decided to raise the fees and provide only real time news. I feel I just don't need that. Technicals do a better work in analysing the short term picture.

Does anyone know of a news provider, in a delayed basis, for market close reports of the major U.S. commodity markets?

Thanks.

OPC

8. Not only do I not read news, but I don't even look at the names of the companies I trade. Symbols only. I don't want to be biased.

9. le140

le140

Briefing.com is all I need for the past 10 yrs. Wait til everybody knows about the news, see how they react to it and sometimes I go along if I am early enough or fade it if I am late.

But I think the trick is to make sure traders get shaken out of stops before u fade the fade.

10. OPC

OPC

Have you ever read news in your trading experience before and how do you compare results?

OPC

#10     Feb 25, 2003